Author Topic: Ball Joint  (Read 3996 times)

Offline WombatTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Ball Joint
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:07:57 AM »
Hello!  I'm new here, and actually - I'm not trying to build a robot  ???.  What I am trying to do is modify a scale model so that has motorized bits (but not self propelled), flashing lights, and maybe even sound.  I'm even toying with the idea of hooking it all up to a microcontroller and programing it with different sequences (just for the experience :)).  I might even try to use an IR remote to trigger different events.  Grand plans that may be beyond my skills at this time - but that's why I'm here, to see what it would take.

The flashing lights/LEDs I've done before, so that shouldn't be a problem.  But the model I'm working with has 4 turrets that are attached via ball joints.  The range of motion needs to be about 30 degrees vertically, and about 120 degrees laterally.  Are there any good (i.e. cheap/easy) ways to do this?

Offline KambeiX

• Helpful? 0
Re: Ball Joint
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:12:52 AM »
I think space will be a concern there.

You can use micro servos connected to some non-visible point under the turrets using hard wire (a clip maybe) so you can move them without having to remove the ball joints.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Ball Joint
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
Depending on the size of the stuff that needs to be actuated (only for really low force movement), and if you have serious space constraints, you might want to consider using muscle wire. Otherwise go with KambeiX's servo suggestion.

If you use servos, you can easily make it all remote controlled:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/remote_control_robot.shtml

Get Your Ad Here

data_list