Author Topic: Sumo Bot Sensor kit?  (Read 3003 times)

Offline pryratesTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Sumo Bot Sensor kit?
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »
Hi all, first post so sorry if its not in the correct place.

I am attempting to build a sumo bot that has to be less than 1kg and completely automatic. This is for a college project so I will have access to large engineering resources including laser cutters, 3D mills etc.

However I am wondering what is the best approach to take? The electronics and sensors especially are going to be a steep learning curve. As such I was wondering are there ready made electronic packages available? Motors, gears, and all types of electronics included? Or even a step by step guide that one of you might have followed when getting started.

I am aiming for simplicity as I do not have a lot of faith in my electronis skill ::)

Any help much apprecited,

J

paulstreats

Re: Sumo Bot Sensor kit?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Im not sure that you can buy a "package" of just sensors and electronics but there are a lot of commercial sumo robots on the market that you can buy. These include sensors and electronics so you could make your own chassis etc...

A good source of information on DIY electronics is http://www.robotroom.com/index.html scroll right down to the bottom of the page and there are links to many things lie sensors, motor drivers etc.... Also the SOR website (just click on the SOR page header) has much theory and some practical tutorials to follow

Offline AtomHex

• Helpful? 0
Re: Sumo Bot Sensor kit?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
Buy a Parallax Sumo Bot, it will provide you with 2 IR sensor/detector pairs, plus 2 Line follow detectors and various other parts plus a very good manual on how to use them in any application, plus you get a neat little Sumo Bot.