go away spammer

Author Topic: Building a car with the netduino - could someone guide me?  (Read 3080 times)

Offline ben2264Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Building a car with the netduino - could someone guide me?
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:08:36 AM »
I'm building a car with a Netduino. Can some one guide me a little bit?it's my first project.
Thank you!

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: Building a car with the netduino - could someone guide me?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 01:56:00 AM »
If You ask for something specific, people might be able to help You  :)
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:13:18 AM »
I'm having a bit of a problem to start.It's my first robot, and I need to know how do build a proper frame(just the buttom layer) - the wheels.

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 03:32:18 PM »
It's my first robot [...]
Would You consider taking something better documented for Your first try? Maybe The $50 Robot?

[...] and I need to know how do build a proper frame(just the buttom layer) - the wheels.
You have to explain what sort of robot You want: 4WD differential, 2WD with extra caster wheel, 2WD with Ackermann steering, etc; is it going to be and actual car-shaped-robot, or maybe something different; what size You want it to be; what materials You have at hand; what materials do feel comfortable working with; how much are You willing to spend on everything; etc, etc. The more info the better  :)
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 05:07:19 AM »
Ok-thanks!
The car will have leds on top(A collection of leds or a LOL-lots of leds shield,not sure yet) and a camera,transmitting all to a computer. The car will be controlled from a computer.
The robot is going to be a 4WD Ackerman.
I dont have a budget- but I dont want to spend too much money,I need it for more things.If I HAVE to buy something expensive, I'll buy it :)
the shape of the robot is going to be a "box with wheels",nothing to complicated.
About size - about 12X6 inches(with the wheels connected to the longer side).
I'm thinking metal for the body.
Right now - I have plenty of resistors,leds, NetDuino Plus(The chip that I program),transistors,and batteries.
Do you think a 4X3.6V AA Li-ion rechargeable batteries will do fine?it will power maybe 6 servos,the netduino,leds,camera and possibly a medium size speaker.
Also,what servos are good for this robot?

p.s
Thank you so much for your help.I really appreciate it,and I'm sure that when I know enough,I'll do my best helping other people in this forum.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:40:57 AM by ben2264 »

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »
[...] and a camera,transmitting all to a computer.
Have You looked for a camera already? WiFi camera would be suitable in this case. It will most likely need separate regulated power supply, as hooking up servos and camera to the same one could cause a lot of noise or make camera not to work at all.

The car will be controlled from a computer.
For that You will need WiFi shield for Your Netduino.

The robot is going to be a 2WD Ackerman.
Ackermann is much more complicated than differential steering. If You ask for guidance to make frame, I'm not convinced that You are up for Ackermann  :) Or You could buy an RC car and use it as a frame.

the shape of the robot is going to be a "box with wheels",nothing to complicated.
If it's "nothing complicated" how come You ask for guidance with "building a proper frame"?  :) I'm sure You are able to put 2 motors on a box, if not, You need to reconsider whole project.

I'm thinking metal for the body.
Why metal? Metal's difficult to work with (unless You have machining shop at Your dispense and skills to use it)and is heavy (requiring  a lot more power from motors, hence battery). Why not to go with wood or ABS plastic?

Do you think a 4X3.6V AA Li-ion rechargeable batteries will do fine?it will power maybe 6 servos,the netduino,leds,camera and possibly a medium size speaker.
I think we're clear about camera. Now, to drive servos (do You have servos already?) You normally need 4.8V to 6V, to run Netduino You need from 7.5V to 12V unregulated power supply, or 5V regulated power supply. With 5V regulator You could power Your Netduino and servos from same Lithium 2s (2 sets in series giving around 7.2V) power supply (probably not the best idea due to noise from servos, but could still work). Using two batteries in series (or 4 batteries in 2x 2s config) will most likely be not enough to drive 6 servos, Netduino and a speaker, what You want is battery pack with more batteries in parallel. To consider capacity  of battery pack You need to know max current draw of each servos, Netduino and speaker, add all together and compare with max discharge of battery pack. To compensate for short high current draws You have to fit caps as close to Your devices as possible. Talking about speaker, what do You define as "medium size speaker"?

Also,what servos are good for this robot?
You have to learn talking numbers  ;D To answer this question we have to know what load they'll have to move.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 06:25:09 AM »
Don't worry,I know I'm annoying right know,but I'll learn!
I know that Ackermann is complicated,but differential steering is not as "pretty" as Ackerman, as well as not accurate.
If I find where to buy in my country,I will use it.
I drew a sketch and I have an idea for the frame. You know what, designing the robot really is 90% of the job,just like the guides here says. For now, I don't need any more help,I'm going to buy ABS plastic and the rest of the components,and I will report to you later :)
Thank you very much,you helped me understand a lot,as well as the importance of thinking more before posting questions.
Thank you,I appreciate it!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list