Author Topic: Bearing madness >.<  (Read 2668 times)

Offline kennykckTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Bearing madness >.<
« on: December 19, 2007, 09:32:11 AM »
I need to calculate the C10(static) value of the taper bearing for my robot arm. I have the thrust force and axial force given. What is the formula >.<

Offline bukowski

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Bearing madness >.<
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 10:53:57 AM »
from the mcgill catalog:

The static load rating is that uniformly distributed static radial bearing load which produces a maximum contact stress of 580,000-PSI acting at the center of contact of the most heavily loaded rolling element. At this stress livel plastic deformation begins (or begins to be significant). Experience has shown that the stress level can be tolerated in most bearing applications without impairment of subsequent bearing opperations. In certain applications where subsequent rotation of the bearing is slow and where smoothness and friction requirements are not too exacting, a higher static load limit can be tolerated. Where extreme smoothness is required or friction requirements are critical, a lower static load limit may be necessary.

blah blah blah... (paraphrase)

When static bearings are subjected to both radial and thrust loads, the equivalent static radial load is defined as:

P0 = 0.5Fr +4.0Fa
or
P0 = Fr Whichever is greater.

P=Equiv radial load, lbs.
Fr=Applied radial load, lbs
Fa=Applied thrust load, lbs

Give McGill's engineering staff a buzz if you need, they are great.

Offline kennykckTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 11:11:39 AM »
once i have the P0, how do i relate it to C10? or can i straight away use P0 to select my taper bearing?

Offline bukowski

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 11:23:38 AM »
as long as the total equiv load is less than your static load rating you should be good to go.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list