Author Topic: HELP ME for noob question!!  (Read 4003 times)

Offline theanxinTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
HELP ME for noob question!!
« on: January 31, 2009, 06:56:26 AM »
According to the society of robots from the topic (Line follower, obstacle avoider, photovore and photophobe in $40), i have one question after i read through of it. There's stated that it can be Line follower, obstacle avoider, photovore and photophobe but from the step part construction does not show the building obstacles avoidance part. Can i use Sharp IR sensor to build into the circuit so that it can works as obstacle avoider? If can then how to connect it  ???? This does not use microcontroller but only use L293D chip to control it. Help!! Thanks

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
Re: HELP ME for noob question!!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:20:30 AM »
your probably better off to build the $50 robot if your a complete newb... if I rememveer right the $40 had more complicated circuits
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 01:36:29 PM »
No it is not complicated and i understand a bit of it :-\. But for the $50 robot budget, i dont have the part list for certain of it. Example they used Arduino set. I live in Malaysia but it did not sell at here. I also looking for PICAXE-28x1 starter package for another project, unfortunately it did not sell in Malaysia too then cause me have to change another idea for the project again :'(. That's why i opt to build $40 without programming the microcontroller(atmel, etc..). :-[. I need for my school project. Time is rush except anyone out there willing to donate circuit and programme to build line follower with obstacles avoidance for Atmel microcontroller and i will be grateful of you all. Thanks  ;D

Offline frodo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • BOW DOWN TO MY MIGHTY STARE!!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:41:45 PM »
if you can't got the stuff frmo Malaysia, try buying from Thailand for your robot parts.
OMG!!!! I AM SUPREME ROBOT!!!

Check out my Web

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 05:47:47 AM »
Mind intro any website to me? thanks

Offline Joesavage1

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
    • Dev-HQ - Learn C++, Visual Basic, HTML and More!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 06:37:44 AM »
apparently this is good

http://www.mynpe.com/

Offline frodo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 10:11:52 AM »
this is a Singapore website:

http://www.sgbotic.com/

Check out my Web

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 08:56:27 AM »
Thanks all 8). I want to ask one more question about that "The $40 Line Follower without using microcontroller project", if i change from CDS photoresistors to phototransistor from the circuit, does it works? What difference between photodiode, cds photoresistors, LDR and phototransistor? if i have change to phototransistor, do it suit? I change it to phototransistor because it can produce more current to it but don't know its suitable or not only. I need your all guide here. im beginner. ;D

Offline frodo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 12:25:52 PM »
 * a photodiode is a special type of LED and is polarized

* A photoresistor or light dependent resistor or cadmium sulfide (CdS) cell is a resistor whose resistance decreases with increasing incident light intensity. It can also be referred to as a photoconductor.A photoresistor is made of a high resistance semiconductor. If light falling on the device is of high enough frequency, photons absorbed by the semiconductor give bound electrons enough energy to jump into the conduction band. The resulting free electron (and its hole partner) conduct electricity, thereby lowering resistance.

* Phototransistors also consist of a photodiode with internal gain. A phototransistor is in essence nothing more than a bipolar transistor that is encased in a transparent case so that light can reach the base-collector junction. The electrons that are generated by photons in the base-collector junction are injected into the base, and this photodiode current is amplified by the transistor's current gain β (or hfe). Note that while phototransistors have a higher responsivity for light they are not able to detect low levels of light any better than photodiodes. Phototransistors also have slower response times.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 12:30:20 PM by frodo »

Check out my Web

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 12:55:25 PM »
Frodo, so which one more suitable to use?

Offline frodo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 01:57:05 PM »
i would go with CdS photoresistors because they detect all the light and have quick-reaction time to light.

Check out my Web

Offline Pratheek

• Contest Winner
  • Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
    • Probots
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 08:13:46 AM »
According to the society of robots from the topic (Line follower, obstacle avoider, photovore and photophobe in $40), i have one question after i read through of it. There's stated that it can be Line follower, obstacle avoider, photovore and photophobe but from the step part construction does not show the building obstacles avoidance part. Can i use Sharp IR sensor to build into the circuit so that it can works as obstacle avoider? If can then how to connect it  ???? This does not use microcontroller but only use L293D chip to control it. Help!! Thanks

To use the $40 robot as an obstacle avoider, you will have to mount the sensor board such that the sensors face forward. Use the same arrangement to use the robot as a photovore or a photophobe.

I want to ask one more question about that "The $40 Line Follower without using microcontroller project", if i change from CDS photoresistors to phototransistor from the circuit, does it works? What difference between photodiode, cds photoresistors, LDR and phototransistor? if i have change to phototransistor, do it suit?

You can use an photoresistor, with little changes to the circuit.

Phototransistors are most suitable for a obstacle avoider while CdS are most suitable for a photovore or a photophobe.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 10:13:35 AM »

To use the $40 robot as an obstacle avoider, you will have to mount the sensor board such that the sensors face forward. Use the same arrangement to use the robot as a photovore or a photophobe.

I want to ask one more question about that "The $40 Line Follower without using microcontroller project", if i change from CDS photoresistors to phototransistor from the circuit, does it works? What difference between photodiode, cds photoresistors, LDR and phototransistor? if i have change to phototransistor, do it suit?

You can use an photoresistor, with little changes to the circuit.

Phototransistors are most suitable for a obstacle avoider while CdS are most suitable for a photovore or a photophobe.

Thks pratheek. 1st question) Besides that, what do you mean to mount the sensor board such that the sensors face forward? It mean how look like the circuit and it use what components? Is it Blue LED with photodiode to mount face forward but not facing on the floor? If like that then where should i connect the signal pin? The original circuit board you can refer from this website title "Line follower, obstacle avoider, photovore and photophobe in $40" ( http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/62 ).

For 2nd question, can i really change from cds photoresistor to photodiode? Does it usable? Because my title project is "photodiode" so i have to apply the photodiode on it (project). If the 1st question is solve on the above then i will continue cds photoresistor but will add photodiode with LED on other board to run as obstacles avoider by connecting the pin is guided ( if 1st question above is answer)

3rd question) 100 rpm dc motor mean how many volt, current, label, and others status? Because when i buy the dc motor i just ask them for 100 rpm dc motor but the result is they show me a lot of dc motor which have 12 volt but the size is different. Is it all dc motor with 12 volt have 100 rpm or different? If different then how to check so that i can buy 100 rpm dc motor?

THANKS U ALL. PRO

Offline Pratheek

• Contest Winner
  • Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
    • Probots
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 06:47:45 AM »
1) To use the robot as an obstacle avoider, you will have to mount the sensor board facing forward, such that the sensor will be able to detect any obstacle in front.

2) You can use Photodiode and an IR LED but you will have to make changes to the circuit.

3) You can buy any DC motor with a speed around 100 rpm. Check the RMF calculator http://www.societyofrobots.com/RMF_calculator.shtml to see if a motor will suite your robot.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 02:13:06 AM »
1) To use the robot as an obstacle avoider, you will have to mount the sensor board facing forward, such that the sensor will be able to detect any obstacle in front.

2) You can use Photodiode and an IR LED but you will have to make changes to the circuit.

3) You can buy any DC motor with a speed around 100 rpm. Check the RMF calculator http://www.societyofrobots.com/RMF_calculator.shtml to see if a motor will suite your robot.

Thx for ur info pratheek. Anyway can explain more details about answered 2) ? If you able to know where have to change to the circuit then can tell me ? i need do it in phtodiode and another LDR meant 2 of it will test alternately in my project

Get Your Ad Here

data_list