Author Topic: Shock absorbing robot laptop mount  (Read 1748 times)

Offline dead5rakaTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Shock absorbing robot laptop mount
« on: January 26, 2012, 02:11:14 AM »
So, i'm building a semi-off-road robot for my school project, and the idea was, that it would carry my macbook pro onboard, so i would be able to control it with my iphone. I'm using Lynxmotion Tri-track as the base for my robot (link bellow), so it will have no problem carrying my laptop, or driving over some small obstacles.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/c-120-no-electronics-kit.aspx

Since my laptop is has a normal hard drive and not an SSD, i am concerned about the rough ride damaging my data. That's why i think it would be a good idea to build some sort of a shock absorbing mount for my laptop. Since my robot is pretty slow, do you think a foam padded box will be sufficient, or do you have any better ideas? :) keep in mind that i want to keep this mount as small, thin, elegant and CHEAP as possible...

any sort of feedback very appreciated! ˆˆ

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Shock absorbing robot laptop mount
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »
Hi,

If it's just your hard drive that bothers you, you could make a bootable USB stick (if that works with a Mac) with OS and what programs you need for the ride and then remove the hard drive completely, while using it for a 'bot.

I'd still recommend some cushioning though. A couple of layers of bubble wrap is light enough for this, but remember not to block the "blow holes" of the Mac.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives