Author Topic: Super debris collecting robot  (Read 6791 times)

Offline oojimaflipsTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Super debris collecting robot
« on: January 16, 2007, 05:28:18 PM »
Hi,

I'm a student on my penultimate year.

My project consists of building a robot that will collect debris in a radioactive field, collecting hot and cold debris.

My question is, given unlimited funding what would you have on the robot?

My ideas of current technologies are limited, but if someone can give me a link or directions to research things such as
Nasa robots that would be extremely helpful!

Also can anyone tell me what is the nearest an object can be recognised using a sharp IR range finder?

Thanks,

Steve

EDIT: Oh I also should mention that the robot must be autonomous, so no remote control abillity :(
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 03:10:12 PM by oojimaflips »

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
Re: Super debris collecting robot
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 06:01:37 PM »
about the range finder....that depends on the model.
this place has a good selection: http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Store.jsp
the most comon model does 10cm to 80cm but once you get out past 80cm it starts to bounce up and down. which means it's effective range is about 50-60cm (haven't thuroughly tested yet).

There is another that does 4cm to 30cm.

As for what I would use for sensors here you go.

Visual Navigation: http://www.ptgrey.com/products/spherical.asp

Collision Detection: http://www.mysick.com/saqqara/pdf.aspx?id=im0012759 (probably more than one)

GPS: http://www.u-blox.com/products/sbr_ls.html (probably in conjuction with IMU system)

the list could go on but you get the picture

Offline Militoy

• Expert Roboticist
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 06:47:13 PM »
You may want to look into the publicly released documents from the U.S. Army’s ARES program (Analysis of Radiation Effects on Sensors). This program dealt specifically with the performance of IR sensors operating under the influence of radioactive fields. There are several public-domain documents from that program which may have bearing on your project.

Offline Zeol

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 09:47:42 AM »
Given unlimited funding my Super Debris Collecting Robot would have:

-Cameras for visual feedback so that the robot can recognize the debris. This will require some processing that might be good to do outside of the field, I'm not sure how much processors like to be radiated

-Thus it would have an antenna or wire fore communicating with a processing unit. The communication must be robust enough not to be affected by the radiaton

-It should have one or two arms with grippers to pick up the debris, and a container where the debris can be stored safely

-Navigation equipment, either by measuring the range from two or three known locations outside the field (e.g. the processing unit), or perhaps using an aided inertial navigation system (Accelerometers + Gyros + GPS)

-If the field allows it, wheels or tracks to move the robot. If it is very rough terrain, perhaps legs is better (looks cool too)

-The processing unit should contain planning software of some kind (go there, pick up that etc.)

-All sensors needed for control (joint angles, wheel velocities, current sensors, torque sensors, perhaps force sensors on the grippers etc.)

-Sexy male/female voice (your choice) confirming your every command

And probably lots more.
----Begin fancy quote in latin----
         yadayadayada
----End fancy quote in latin----

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 01:35:18 PM »
-Sexy male/female voice (your choice) confirming your every command
a must have for all killer robots.

will collect debris in a radioactive field, collecting hot and cold debris.
what kind of debris? what kind/amount of radiation?

your probably want lead plating around your electronics. note that stuff can melt or get contaminated with radiation, so material selection and heat transfer is important.

picture putting your robot into a microwave . . .

This robot got f'ed up by radiation. . .
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-12/dnl-mr121505.php
http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/?p=107

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 02:02:11 PM »
what kind of debris? what kind/amount of radiation?

The specification does not state this but it states that the hot debris are "very radioactive" I'm just assuming that it will be the worst possible enviorment imaginable when it comes to radiation.

Interesting story by the way thanks :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 02:06:40 PM by oojimaflips »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 02:12:06 PM »
worst possible enviorment imaginable when it comes to radiation
There comes a point to where your robot will just melt so that it simply no longer works. :o Also, some types of radiation can contaminate objects, so that your robot could actually be radioactive as it returns stuff back to people . . . with that much radiation, radio control wont work either . . .

So based on this, a thought . . . perhaps a robot at some safe distance can cannon fire a tethered 'hand' that grabs debris, and then reels it in . . . it keeps your robot safe and makes remote control possible.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 02:13:14 PM »
ok dumb question, but maybe i should have asked this in the beginning . . . why is it collecting debris? for analysis, or nuclear cleanup?

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 02:17:47 PM »
For analysis :)

Just wondering would you use tracks or wheels on a rough terrain? Looking at the NASA robots they say wheels.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
i perfer wheels because its easier and cheaper . . . check this out:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_asme.shtml

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 02:44:31 PM »
That robot is fantastic!

We originally decided on tracks because we thought it'd be easier to program since its only on one axle but thinking about it, it shouldn't be too hard to program the wheels either.

Offline Militoy

• Expert Roboticist
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 03:03:49 PM »
So based on this, a thought . . . perhaps a robot at some safe distance can cannon fire a tethered 'hand' that grabs debris, and then reels it in . . . it keeps your robot safe and makes remote control possible.

It seems to me that since the debris itself is "hot",

The specification does not state this but it states that the hot debris are "very radioactive"

That this approach would only minimally protect the robot. The shielding suggested by Admin should certainly be part of the approach (though I'm not sure I would use lead) - but RAD-hard electronic components, sensors and circuits will be a must as well.

Also, some types of radiation can contaminate objects, so that your robot could actually be radioactive as it returns stuff back to people

Actually - many types of radioactive emissions will contaminate certain materials. A few of the products I work on have to be designed to work in "hot" environments (such as open space) - and there are certain materials prohibited in their construction. For instance - silver-plating on wire or terminals will become radioactive very quickly when irradiated. PTFE (Teflon) is even problematic, because although it can take on a static charge over time, its extremely high volume resistivity makes it darn near impossible to discharge - so it affects the capacitive charges on any conductors surrounding it.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 11:38:23 AM »
this place has a good selection: http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Store.jsp
I dont recommend anyone ordering from Junun. Ive been hearing bad things about them from multiple sources - mostly orders only being half complete or not showing up at all. Worse, they ignore emails and phone calls.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list