Author Topic: Indoor navigation wireless IC  (Read 1719 times)

Offline nahidalamTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Indoor navigation wireless IC
« on: August 10, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »
Hi All,

I am looking for an indoor navigation IC (preferably a breakout board) that has wifi or other wireless network capability. Planning to use it with an arduino based robot for indoor navigation.

BCM4752 seems to be the one that will resolve this. But Broadcomm sales those only for large volume of customers. Also CSR SiRFStarV can help but has similar problem as Broadcomm.

Any suggestion? Any other available platform that can help? Or can I build it using some other existing platforms?

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Indoor navigation wireless IC
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 06:56:04 PM »
What is a "navigation IC"?

The chips you talk about are general satellite position receivers, and do not have any wireless transmission capability. You can buy those kinds of modules in quantity 1 from various hobby providers.

For example:
ublox-6 based: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11571
MTKv3 based: http://www.adafruit.com/products/746

Note that pretty much any satellite based receiver will have trouble indoors. External, amplified antennas may improve things, but don't plan on using these in the basement of a ten-story building...

... Thinking about it some more, I think what you mean is a "position sensing chip." ("Navigation" is how you find your way between positions, not determining the position itself.)
And when you say "WiFi or other wireless network support" perhaps you mean chips using secondary sensor technology to improve velocity or delta-position based on signal physics, rather than actually reporting the data over a wifi network?
Robust indoor location is still not actually in the hands of consumers, and I don't know of anyone who is selling modules that has those features, except for companies that sell modules designed to work together with proprietary beacon systems.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:07:32 PM by jwatte »

Get Your Ad Here