Author Topic: Big Bang Day  (Read 4554 times)

Offline TrickyNekroTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
Big Bang Day
« on: September 08, 2008, 05:10:25 AM »
Well, that not on robotics certainly but it's on a general physics interest topic...

I'm talking about the Large Hadron Collider at Geneva, they will be firing it in 2 days!!!

I'm not a doom caster but, with that accelerator they will hit those protons with nearly the speed of light...
Thus many tell this can create a black hole... Could it be?

What if a black hole is created, we will turn in stardust in seconds...

But again is that possible?

They also say that with the protons crash some particles will come out that will help us to understand how
the can mass have properties and such...

Does anyone know more on this?

Regards, Lefteris
For whom the interrupts toll...

paulstreats

Re: Big Bang Day
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 05:44:08 AM »
The LHC is hopefully going to prove or disprove the existence of the Higgs Boson. It is though that emptry space is made up of a field of Higgs Bosons. When an object moves through that field it comes into contact with Higgs Bosons and gains mass from them. So the faster an object moves through the field the more bosons it comes into contact with and therefore the more mass it gains.

Image it is raining heavily outside, if you walk through the rain you come into contact with say 100 rain drops per second. If you run through it you come into contact with 300 rain drops per second. Each raindrop that touches you momentarily adds mass to you so the faster you move through the rain the greater mass you gain (and wetter you get).

There is much speculation about the LHC creating a black hole, if it does indeed create a black hole, then it will have a very low gravitational attraction due to not having much substance and so not enough strength to actually do anything.

Large Hadron Collider: http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/

Offline MadMax

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 06:05:03 AM »
And if a black hole actually is created... Then let's just pray that our good friend Mr. Hawking was right ;)
I'm quite excited about them firing the LHC, I've been following it for quite some time, the results of the LHC might actually uncover some of the missing links needed for creating the unified theory!

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 06:10:11 AM »
Mmm, that's nice...
I come to wonder what these Higgs Boson was... I read the wiki page related to the collider here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

So these Higgs Boson are like energy particles that when come in contact with mass, they turn into mass... adding mass to the first mass...
Thus proving that energy and mass are related further more than the relativity law...

And providing an answer whether Einstein was correct or not...

Also they say they will understand where the strong and weak nuclear energy and electromagnetic energy comes from...
What about this...
Here is a site about strong nuclear force: http://aether.lbl.gov/elements/stellar/strong/strong.html
Here is a site about strong nuclear force: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_force
And here is a site about electromagnetic force: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interaction

Quite a shame I can't understand much right now...
I need someone to clear me up here... hope there is...

Best regards, Lefteris
Greece

Offline MadMax

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 11:33:47 AM »
What they're going to research is the origin of mass. Because mass is an unexplained force. For example, kinetic energy is m devided by two, multiplied by veloctiy squared (Ek = 0.5m * sqr(v))
However, particles like radiation-particles(alpha, beta or gamma) do not have a mass, this means that no matter how fast this particle is going, it won't have kinetic energy (meaning, when it impacts, it won't excert any force on an object). However, when you bombard something with radiation, you're actually destroying it (for example, cancer because of partially destroyed DNA inside cells) this means it SHOULD have energy. And that's where this biggs-bozon comes in, this bozon should explain the origin of mass. And when we've got the origin of mass, we might be able to complete the unified theory.

Oh, they fired it... world hasn't exploded/imploded/sucked inside a large black hole
Take it easy guys...

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 03:09:37 PM »
So they fired the accelerator up, but I think I read it takes months to a year to charge the particles before they fire it?

And then after they fire it, the will build a second accelorator to collide with the first one?

so this actual collision is years off?

Offline Penth

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 03:59:38 PM »
I think that is all done. I believe they have everything in place to cause a collision, they just need to stress test firing beams in both directions at varying strengths.

paulstreats

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 04:57:17 PM »
The designated 1st collision date was supposed to be when the official launch date was which is the 21st of october this year. Right now they are just testing it by sending protons spinning around and slowly increasing the speed/ energy of them. Currently they have reach 10trillion electron volts. The collider is designed for 14trillion so its working well up to now. So well in fact that they are thinking of bringing the first collision forwards. (all of the end of world activists should beware of the collision date and not the turning on and testing date ;D).

I think that it might take a while after the collisions to get any significant feedback though. from what I understand the LHC will output around 3 terrabytes of data per second. Imagine having to look through all of that! Imagine how many libraries a seconds worth of data could fill if it was all written down on paper...

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 03:37:37 AM »
there's some interesting live webcam footage of the facility here: http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html

dunk.

Offline MadMax

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 11:37:56 AM »
I talked bullshit ...

They're just firing one beam of protons / lead-nuclei around the accelerator right now to make sure it is being contained by the supermagnets... If the beam isn't contained the concrete and stuff around the LHC is going to become a small 100.000 times hotter then the sun... Thats hot.
I'm amazed by this project, they're really on the edges of what technology can these days. The magnets are being cooled to 1,9K, that's colder then space is. And at the same time, at the moment of collision, these immense temperatures are going to appear. 25ns intervals on the ATLAS detector. 3 Terabytes of data EVERY second. I'm truly amazed by the technology, time and money that went into this.

Offline izua

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • izua electronics
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 01:17:04 PM »
Powered with this new technology, Geneva decided to give every male a permanent large hadr on, while females will be enhanced with large bosons. I am looking forward :P
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 01:18:55 PM by izua »
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

Offline maverick monk

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 01:29:13 PM »
/thread
you are a genius, plain genius

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 01:26:03 PM »
there's some interesting live webcam footage of the facility here: http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html

dunk.

:P

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 03:16:15 PM »
My weak understanding of particle physics says that these collisions *will* create blackholes.

However, they will be micro-blackholes, meaning they will 'evaporate' almost instantly (as opposed to sucking up the Earth).

the smaller the size of the micro black hole, the faster the evaporation rate, resulting in a sudden burst of particles as the micro black hole suddenly explodes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_Radiation

Which says:
rate of blackhole decay =~ 1/(mass^2)

since the mass is puny, the decay rate is almost instant

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 04:35:17 AM »
I think black holes need energy to operate...
Since two protons are to create black holes (which are not black but just invisible) they will attract as much
energy as to be again in their physical form...

This energy is lost with the uneven crash conditions they experience...

What is more dangerous and catastrophic is the anti-matter...
Anti matter is the exact opposite of the matter...
When these two meet up they are converted to energy instantly...
Well that was irrelevant...

But I want to say that this big black hole in our galactic system less likely to affect us...
And creating a black hole here in earth such big as to suck us in in hell impossible...
We need tons of energy for that we will never be able to manipulate....
Our problem here is clearly space travel...
They found out that mass , energy even if they are the same
they both exist from the mixture of 4 frequencies...

Our problem in concluding the unfilled theory...
With this theory we would be able to control the very fabric of space, solid everything...
Time travel, space travel everything...

They know earth is too small for the humanity...

Anyways, this all maybe science fantasies or I should stop playing mass effect... :P

Best regards, Lefteris

Offline MadMax

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 02:44:39 PM »
It's certain that black holes are going to be created, this is because the resulting speed by the acceleration is larger then the magnetic force the electrons create around an atom. This results in particles fusing (yeah duh, that whole point of the experiment)... That means a lot of mass is going to end up in a small area. That means a black hole is created, but it's one plank-unit in radius...
In layman's terms: it's too frickin' small... And if hawking radiation doesn't exist.... It'll take a very small time before we're all sucked in, we'll all be shredded to pieces by the amazing G forces. So take it easy guys :P

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 10:19:03 PM »
Now look .... this is the EU...... So if any 'black holes' do get formed then they will be taxed out of existence.

Only one person will benefit and it will be JK Rowling with her next installment of Harry Potter and the Large Hadron Collider.

;)

Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

Get Your Ad Here