Author Topic: smoke test - failed!  (Read 2499 times)

Offline richiereynoldsTopic starter

• Helpful? 3
smoke test - failed!
« on: March 08, 2010, 04:42:31 AM »
Hi there, looking for some hardware help.

Had constructed a little power supply break out board - battery -> 220uf electrolytic cap -> LM7805 -> 220uf electrolytic cap followed by some swiches to bridge the 5V output to some different circuits.
Got quite late last night and of course I plugged the battery in the wrong way ...
Saw smoke and pulled it out again, couldn't have been more than a few seconds. Went to bed ...

So, how likely is damage, what am I likely to have damaged, and how could I test the components?

If the LM7805 is outputting 5V can I assume it's ok?
Is there any way I can test the caps in circuit? Obviously I can test that current is flowing through them but how can I test they're actually doing their job?

Thanks guys,
Richard.

Offline ethought

• Helpful? 0
Re: smoke test - failed!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:58:18 AM »
If one of the caps was smoking, from my limited experience, you can sometimes tell which one it was by visually inspecting. Anything with burn marks or bulging casing (swollen looking) should be replaced.

As I understand it is usually not good practice to reverse positive and negative / ground on electrolytic capacitors as they tend to smoke, or explode (loud).

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 01:30:02 AM »
As I understand it is usually not good practice to reverse positive and negative / ground on electrolytic capacitors as they tend to smoke, or explode (loud).

not only loud but dangerous.

I am not sure what happens to a cap when you hook the power back up the right way but i dont think it will do anything out of the norm. If nothing has happened already i dont think any thing will.

if the regulator is out putting 5v it is fine to still use. and even if you have to and or need to replace the caps they are less than 10 cents each and if anyone reports that it may be dangerous i wouldnt hesitate replacing them out of safety.

Regards

Joker94

Offline little-c

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 03:02:50 AM »
if the capacitor failed, it would short and smoke regardless of direction of current.

if it is an electrolytic capacitor, I wouldn't place any bets on it functioning within the range that is stated.

most important thing, replace the electrolytic capacitors to insure that they do what they are ment to.

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 04:43:38 AM »
Thanks all, actually it all appears to be working ok but I can't be sure the caps are doing their job so I guess I'll replace them. Was just hoping for an easy way to test them in circuit to avoid more soldering!

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:38:58 PM »
Hi,

Replace the regulator as well and trash the old one completely, whether it appears to work or not.
If it ain't dead allready it will die and you don't want it to take a microcontroller and other circuitry with it if it suddenly outputs too high a voltage. Regulators and caps are cheap compared to what you use the supply for, so go with safe (and connect it the right way 'round next time ;))
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline cyberfish

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:50:15 PM »
If you can spare 0.65V (input > 7.65V), it may be a good idea to add a reverse-polarity protection diode.

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 04:37:37 AM »
Given the likelihood that I'll do the same stupid thing again at some point that sounds like a good idea!

Thanks all for the advice!

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 03:30:57 PM »
Hi,

For polarity protection without a voltage drop, use this:

For a very small drop (20mV/A), use this - if the battery voltage is 12V or more.

Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...

Offline little-c

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 05:12:45 PM »
Dead links, don't know if its me or not>

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 07:49:26 PM »
Hi,

Dead links, don't know if its me or not>
Might it be the propagation that is/was too low causing a timeout?
I allways check links and pics in my browser when uploaded to a server and they show good here (or I would have corrected it), but they're placed on a fairly local server.
Perhaps if you try again later, they should get through.
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

Offline little-c

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 03:03:22 AM »
still dead. not a clue why. ???

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »
Hi,

Strange, but here they are in a different way:
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

Offline little-c

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 10:31:44 AM »
those work. thanks.

Get Your Ad Here