go away spammer

Author Topic: Wired PS2 Controller for wheeled robot  (Read 1976 times)

Offline koolraj09Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Wired PS2 Controller for wheeled robot
« on: April 05, 2014, 12:25:39 PM »
Hi all,
I bought a wired PS2 controller and I wanted to use it to control my 4 wheel, differential drive robot. Is there any way that i could do it, without using a micro-controller? Using a motor driver of some sort..etc? What other things I may need?

Actually i need the switches/buttons of the controller only...the simplicity and handling of PS2 for controlling a robot is what I need....
Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:28:03 PM by koolraj09 »

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Wired PS2 Controller for wheeled robot
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:10:32 AM »
Yes this can be done. Here's a good link from Google, which includes an Arduino library link: http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/PS2/

Offline venturemfg

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:45:59 AM »
You need to add/modify some configuration files. The link sent by jwatte can be helpful for you. Also check out for different conf files for the controllers.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 03:13:30 PM »
Actually, I realize that I didn't properly answer the question: You said "without using a microcontroller."

No, you cannot control a motor controller directly from a PS/2 controller without using a microcontroller in the middle. You need a microcontroller to read the SPI data from the PS/2 controller, and write proper control signals to the motor controllers.

The closest you may be able to come would be to use a motor controller with built-in microcontroller, like the Orangutan from Pololu. But you're probably better off just using a motor controller (or motor shield) and an Arduino Uno.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list