Author Topic: Wild thumper controller  (Read 2227 times)

Offline HanTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Wild thumper controller
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:31:13 AM »
my therapist has recommended i get a hobby that keeps my mind busy in order to distract myself from my OCD. I've taken to robotics. i have no experience with programming or anything, but I'm getting the hang of everything.

I've been working at it for about 18 hours now, and i have managed to get my Arduino to do all kinds of cool things. i can make an LED blink, i can move a servo, and i can make a light sensor.

i went and bought a wild thumper controller to play with some motors now. however i have a couple of questions:

1. i cannot read the schematics or the code, and i do not have enough money to buy a remote control kit, so i intend to hook it up to a laptop with 3g and remote desktop into it. but i cannot find the serial code to control the motors. any advise?

2. where is D3, 5, 6 and 11? this is actually a bit worrying, as the numbers aren't in sequence as they should be.

Google is of little help, and the codes in the user manual don't work. i only have a 12 volt DC barrel jack and some regular AA batteries. please help?

Thanks in advanced.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Wild thumper controller
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:53:48 AM »
When you say "it doesn't work," what are you trying, and what is the result?
If you can copy some lines of code and some lines of the error messages you're seeing, that might help.

Offline HanTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:07:14 AM »
as the user manual states:

Using either a PC and the USB port or another proc
essor connected to D0(RX) and D1(TX) the sample
software will support these
basic serial commands:

“FL” flushes the buffer. This occurs automatically on power up and if an invalid command is received.

“AN” request analog data. 10 bytes will be received, The “high” and “low” byte of analog inputs 1-5.

“SV” followed by the “high” and “low” byte of 7 servo positions in uS. 14 bytes must be sent.

“HB” followed by 4 bytes of data sets the mode (0-2) and power (0-255) of each “H” bridge.

hence, as i understand it, i am supposed to type into the serial monitor the following to make a motor move:
"HB2200"
and then click send.

i have also tried:

HB
send
send
send

as well as
HB 2 200
send

and
HB
send

to no avail. it is the sample code on the sparkfun site, and i have set it to serial mode, as instructed. still, i am completely lost.

Offline HanTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 11:11:43 AM »
also, there is no error. there is simply no response at all.

Get Your Ad Here