go away spammer

Author Topic: quick question  (Read 6535 times)

Offline annoyin_kidTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
quick question
« on: January 25, 2007, 04:43:18 PM »
what is the small wheel in this photo called? i need something like it to hold up my robot because my robot only has 2 wheels and i dont want to spend too much time mucking around with that wheel. does it rotate?

http://www.societyofrobots.com/images/materials_HDPEexample.JPG

Offline trigger

• Helpful? 0
  • It's an op amp, not a gun part.
Re: quick question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 05:23:04 PM »
It's a caster.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who can read binary, and those who can't.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 07:49:19 AM »
the particular one i used was meant for furniture

i think i got it at HomeDepot, but dont remember

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 01:45:48 PM »
http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R76-4CM-ROLLER.html
I hear these make good casters because they don't need a swivel axle.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 01:50:44 PM »
yea, omni-wheels work well too. ive used the one Jesse posted as an effective caster, but that one is annoyingly expensive.

try here for cheaper omni-wheels:
http://www.kornylak.com/wheels/transwheel.html

just stick a rigid shaft though the center and your done.

• Helpful? 0
deadly servos???
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 03:35:05 PM »
alrite so this is the situation. i got another futaba s3003 servo and modded it for constant rotation. then i was moving the servo's box and i just happened to see the bottom of the box and i saw the word 'WARNING'. i thought it was one of those warnings saying that the product contains small parts and should be kept away little kiddies but i took the time to read it and this is what it said:

'WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects (or other reproductive harm)'  :'( :'( :'(

reading this i was really shaken up because i had already opened of two of these servos. im still in my early-mid teens and bloody hell i dont wanna die of cancer already. do you guys know what the chemical is and which part it is found in so i can stay away from this stuff? i tried googling it but i didn't find anything about it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 03:53:03 PM by annoyin_kid »

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 03:47:25 PM »
the particular one i used was meant for furniture

i think i got it at HomeDepot, but dont remember

woops i forgot to reply to my first question and i already asked a second question. did the caster work alright because i might be able to get one off some broken furniture?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 07:07:25 PM »
did the caster work alright because i might be able to get one off some broken furniture
It wasnt 'optimal', but worked fine. I recommend getting it free off of broken furniture. :P

'WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects (or other reproductive harm)'   

reading this i was really shaken up because i had already opened of two of these servos. im still in my early-mid teens and bloody hell i dont wanna die of cancer already. do you guys know what the chemical is and which part it is found in so i can stay away from this stuff?
So you are in 'early-mid teens' and worried about 'reproductive harm' already? :P ok j/k . . .
Ever heard the joke that you can only get cancer in California? :P

So chances are the carcinogen (the thing that can cause cancer) is inside a component in the circuit board. So unless you decide to eat your servo, I wouldnt worry . . . You are a million times more likely to get cancer from walking outside (in the sun) and using your cellphone while drinking coke (not actually medically verified) . . . :P

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 06:38:58 PM »
There is a big push for electronic component manufacturers to use components that are "RoHS" compliant.  The RoHS Directive stands for "the Restriction of the use of certain Hazardous Substances in electrical and electronic equipment" and bans the placing of new electrical and electronic equipment containing more than agreed levels of lead, cadmium, mercury, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyl (PBB) and polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) flame retardants.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 10:27:52 PM »

'WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects (or other reproductive harm)'   

reading this i was really shaken up because i had already opened of two of these servos. im still in my early-mid teens and bloody hell i dont wanna die of cancer already. do you guys know what the chemical is and which part it is found in so i can stay away from this stuff?
So you are in 'early-mid teens' and worried about 'reproductive harm' already? :P ok j/k . . .
Ever heard the joke that you can only get cancer in California? :P

So chances are the carcinogen (the thing that can cause cancer) is inside a component in the circuit board. So unless you decide to eat your servo, I wouldnt worry . . . You are a million times more likely to get cancer from walking outside (in the sun) and using your cellphone while drinking coke (not actually medically verified) . . . :P

na man i never heard the joke that you can only get cancer in california (probably cuz i live in new zealand) but atleast ill know for next time

Get Your Ad Here