go away spammer

Author Topic: Looking for a compact motor with gear reduction  (Read 5734 times)

Offline NickRummyTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Looking for a compact motor with gear reduction
« on: September 26, 2008, 01:39:49 PM »
Hi everyone, hoping someone can help me out.

I'm currently trying to build a scaled down version of a truck winch for an RC truck I'm working on. I usually just modify a servo to continually spin and put a spool where the servo arm goes and hide the servo which works pretty well.

I want to take it a step further and have the motor and gear reduction on the front bumper also just like a real winch. I'm trying to find a small motor with a gear reduction unit on it that spins around 75rpm on around 8V. It'll be getting power from a 2S lipo battery. I found this motor and it seems almost PERFECT but this place is out of Canada and I'm looking for something in the US.

GM14A

I don't want anything bigger than that for sure. 45in oz torque is probably on the weak side but I can only expect so much out of such a small setup.

Thank you in advance.

Nick

Offline brijesh

• Helpful? 0

Offline gamefreak

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
Re: Looking for a compact motor with gear reduction
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 07:55:45 PM »
if realism wasn't required and you can find a bevel gears small enough, couldn't you hide the servo inside of the trucks hood and then use a bevel gear to scale down the visible size.
All hail Rodney, the holy 555 timer
And Steve said: "Let there be lead!"

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:48:15 AM »
if realism wasn't required and you can find a bevel gears small enough, couldn't you hide the servo inside of the trucks hood and then use a bevel gear to scale down the visible size.

Well originally we would put a spool on a servo and hide the servo inside the truck and we would run the wire lead out the front of the truck and through a bumper so it still look pretty really. I'd just like to take it a step further if possibly and make a complete working unit that mounts to a bumper and looks just like the real thing.

brijesh, I'm looking to see how easy those are to purchase right now. If the shipping works out I'll pick one up to try! thanks!

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 05:33:14 PM »
You can more easily compare the various motors by going to the category's parametric comparison table:

http://www.pololu.com/search/compare/51

This lets you sort by specs like free-run RPM, free-run current, stall current, and stall torque so that you can find the motor that most closely matches your requirements.

- Ben

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 05:58:27 AM »
Thanks Bens! that made me realize I bought the wrong motor  :-\

That's ok though, I can use this motor to at least get the fit right and play around with the looks. I see they have a motor capable of 90oz. That's what I'm after. I'd like more than that if possible but that might get me by.

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:28:11 AM »
Note that you can get more torque out of a motor by increasing the motor voltage, although doing so will typically decrease the life span of the motor.

- Ben

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:43:30 AM »
Yeh I'm aware of upping the voltage but I'm not sure how much these will take before burning up? Think they would be ok up to 8.4V?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 01:14:51 AM »
I found this motor and it seems almost PERFECT but this place is out of Canada and I'm looking for something in the US.
I bought that motor from solarbotics about 4 years ago, it was shipped to me from a US location.

Oh, and I really liked the motor :)

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 06:29:13 PM »
Yeh I'm aware of upping the voltage but I'm not sure how much these will take before burning up? Think they would be ok up to 8.4V?

Sorry for not answering this question sooner.  We use these same motors (i.e. the low-power micro metal gearmotors) at 9.25 V on our 3pi robots  and they have been running on and off for months with no signs of wear.  We performed one test at 12 V and the motor ran for eight continuous hours before dying.

- Ben

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 05:23:28 AM »
We performed one test at 12 V and the motor ran for eight continuous hours before dying.
What was the cause of failure? Melted coils or damaged gears?

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 06:22:43 PM »
The brushes eventually wore away/melted.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list