Author Topic: PVC vs. HDPE  (Read 6285 times)

Offline Thomas CountzTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
PVC vs. HDPE
« on: December 22, 2008, 08:32:52 AM »
I am just about ready to begin my next robot project, when a silly little question popped up. As the title implies, I am finding it difficult to determine which building material to use for my robot chassis. Expanded Polyvinyl Chloride (Sintra) or High Density Polyethylene (HDPE). Through my research I was able to find that both materials seem to fit my needs; they are both thermoplastics, they can be easily remanufactured into the required dimensions, they are inexpensive, they both have similar tensile strength characteristics, ect. Within my research, I find that the two are both applicable to my project, and therefore I am unable to decide which material to use.

Based on your experience with either of the materials, which do you suggest?

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: PVC vs. HDPE
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:37:04 AM »
Based on my experience... your robot isn't going to be crashing into stuff at 30mph, and probably won't be something designed for a minimum possible weight (i.e. won't be trying to use material as efficiently as possible)

Thus, use whichever's cheapest.
I

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 09:56:19 AM »
Well, you're asking a subjective question. ;)

You need to determine exactly how strong you need the material to be (an actual number). You also need to tell us what machine shop tools you have and your budget ;D

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 11:20:23 AM »
I lack the ability to calculate the stresses that my robot will go through, however, with that knowledge that I lack knowledge, I will be able to seek out knowledge  ??? I have access to a machine shop (my father's) so I'm not to worried about that. My budget is small for this project (what else is new) Overall I'd say I have an unfixed budget of $125, not including the previous purchases I've made so far (servos & mcu)

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 05:55:59 PM »
to me sintra is easier to work with
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Offline SeagullOne

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Humans and Robots working together for our future.
    • Loren John Presley - Author, Artist, Roboteer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 03:27:39 AM »
It's PVC (sintra) toxic? That's one of the reasons I switched to polyethylene.  ;)

I mean, for most uses it's okay. But if you have a baby family member or a pet and they try to chew on it...it's not so good. Or if you heat it up, the emissions are toxic.

Just thought I'd cut that in...
I think the chauffeur did it.

He did.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 03:28:49 AM »
Yeah I decided to go with HDPE because of it's ecoFriendlyness ... aka recyclability  ;D ;D

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:03:26 PM »
I lack the ability to calculate the stresses that my robot will go through
If you can't calculate, get some sample materials and run a few experiments. Or just guess and go overkill . . .

Get Your Ad Here

data_list