go away spammer

Author Topic: how to combine planetary gearbox with servo?  (Read 6136 times)

Offline CharizardTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
how to combine planetary gearbox with servo?
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:35:18 PM »
hi, i just got a planetary gearbox and a servo from the following site. Yet, after I read its data sheet, i am still confuse.. I still not sure how to combine them all. Is it just connect the back of the gearbox to the head to the servo? Thanks for answering.

servo C55S from http://www.cytron.com.my/listProductCategory.asp?cid=90 and
planetary gearbox from http://malaysia.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=719-120&x=28&y=22

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: how to combine planetary gearbox with servo?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 06:07:14 AM »
Is there a reason why you need to attach the gearbox? The gears built in to the servo gear it down enough, if you put on another gearbox the shaft will barely move because it is geared down so much.

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 06:21:18 AM »
RC servo is not the same with DC Servo Motor. RC servo is for remote controlled model aircraft, ships and cars (and robotics). DC servo motor is for industry use.

If you open the data sheet of the planetary gearbox and scroll down to the page 5 there is a table there with compatible motors. Chose the motor with the voltage according to your needs and you can mount them without problems.

Here is a 6V motor: http://malaysia.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=718-969&x=29&y=14
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 06:24:55 AM by Ro-Bot-X »
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:57:48 AM »
Then is there any different between RC servo and DC servo? I mean in term of controlling it, can i control DC servo by using pulses? Or DC servo doesn't have any feedback at all? Actually I plan to move an object based on feedback from the sensor. Because the whole system is quite big and the weight is about 3~5kg. So, i thought to use gearbox to increase RC servo's torque. So, I need to use DC servo in order to make it work? Is its controlling method same with RC servo?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:16:30 PM by Charizard »

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:53:25 PM »
RC servo has the closed loop control built in. An industrial DC servo usually uses an encoder for feedback and the closed loop control is done externally.

For robotics, RC servos are best, although for driving we often use DC motors with encoders and closed loop control through the microcontroller. DC motors need an H-Bridge with a PWM control signal, RC servos use a slightly different PWM signal, but the H-Bridge is built in.

For heavy loads you eighter use a bigger servo, like a quarter scale servo (sometime called giant servo) like this one: http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-805bb_mega_power.html, or use an external gearbox like this one: http://www.servocity.com/html/spg805a_standard_rotation.html
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 07:44:32 AM »
Ok, from the rs link that you posted, it written 10.5mNm. Means it has this amount of torque right. Then, the gearbox that i have now is 190:1. So, means i only have total torque of 1.9 Nm?

Btw, is there any nice tutorial for DC servo? Cause I am still don't know much about this motor and how to control it. Is DC motor same with DC servo? Can I control it with PIC if i have DC servo motor controller since it has H bridge in there?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 12:46:57 AM »
Btw, is there any nice tutorial for DC servo? Cause I am still don't know much about this motor and how to control it. Is DC motor same with DC servo? Can I control it with PIC if i have DC servo motor controller since it has H bridge in there?
step 1, look up the datasheets and see what they say
step 2, google up what you don't understand
step 3, if still confused, ask us in the forum, and *link* the datasheet

Instead, you are asking us how to use something but not even telling us what it is :P

Get Your Ad Here

data_list