Author Topic: How to attach something to the axle of your robot ?  (Read 6837 times)

Offline oelewapperkeTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
How to attach something to the axle of your robot ?
« on: April 15, 2009, 06:40:23 AM »
I have a cheapo motor, out of which small metal, horrendously slippery metal bar is sticking out of. Glueing stuff to it does not work (for long).

So how do I attach something to it that, you know, actually starts rotating with the motor ?

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: How to attach something to the axle of your robot ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 06:53:43 AM »
personally i would get a better one that has something other than a round shaft. attaching stuff onto a round one will be quite hard if not impossible. however you could 'change' the shape of the shaft by means to make it fit.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 03:27:04 PM by SmAsH »
Howdy

Offline lanamor

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 07:17:15 AM »
With out seeing it for myself... I could only make a guess. Many motor shafts have a 'D' shape. This allows a hub, or something else to use a set screw. So, perhaps you could grind or file a flat side into the shaft. Also, if you were perhaps joining the metal shaft to something else metal you could use J-B Weld. Just make sure to clean the oil off 1st.

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 01:36:14 PM »
I believe I know the motor of which you speak.  It's just a small hobby motor with 1.5mm or 2mm shaft, right?  The normal way to take power off of a motor like that is with a press-fit plastic pinion gear.  The gear presses onto the motor shaft and stays in place quite well.  That gear would drive a gear box with the drive shaft.  You can find these gears all over - local hobby shops, stock drive (www.sdp-si.com), etc.

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 03:33:20 PM »
Hobby stores sell those pinions ArcMan is talking about, you can get them in a variety of shaft sizes, gear teeth and gear pitch so you'll probably find the right one you need.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 04:52:35 PM »
I have a cheapo motor, out of which small metal, horrendously slippery metal bar is sticking out of
You can drill and tap a hole into the shaft, or file a flat part on it to screw a screw tight onto it. Or, you can use a mill to key it.

Get Your Ad Here