go away spammer

Author Topic: A Cool Idea (If it's practical)  (Read 1821 times)

Offline JdogTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
A Cool Idea (If it's practical)
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:20:35 PM »
I thought of an idea the other day when trying to find a cheap solution to computer vision than any of the robot cameras for sale, but I'm nowhere near advanced enough to try it. I was wondering if you could have a robot communicating with a computer wirelessly through some sort of usb transmitter and reciever. The robot would send the sensor information to a computer running roborealm, then the computer could do all of the processing and send the output commands to the robot. This would give a small robot much more capabilities, and is a cheaper solution to buying a computer just for the robot. Not to mention computer vision would be much cheaper because you could use a cheap webcam.
The only downfall I might see to this is that the wireless transmission time might be too long for the robot to act in realtime.
Can someone tell if they've tried this and if it works?

Offline Hawaii00000

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
"God chose to make the world according to very beautiful mathematics."
-Paul Dirac
Its Hawaii Five-O. Get it?

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: A Cool Idea (If it's practical)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 07:46:25 AM »
Hi,

If size is the main reason for not placing the PC where it happens, look here: http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/pico-itx/default.asp?page=3
(7.2 cm x 10 cm or around 3" x 4").
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here