Author Topic: Some Pictures of my Robot - could someone give feedback?  (Read 3354 times)

Offline miicchhiiTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Some Pictures of my Robot - could someone give feedback?
« on: August 16, 2012, 05:34:30 AM »
 I published some pictures of my robot,
its my first one so please keep that in mind.

here is the link: http://www.langeder.org/wordpress/robot-pictures/

I would be really thankful if someone could have a look at them and give feedback.

greetings, michael
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:15:52 PM by miicchhii »

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Some Pictures of my Robot - could someone give feedback?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:51:36 PM »
Hi,

Feedback on photos of the parts that you're gonna use... You're kidding right?
I think you'll get people more interested, when you have actually build it and it's running.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:41:20 AM »
i thought someone could already give me feedback on what-already-there,
before i start constructing with unuseable parts and get frustrated all over.

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:14:04 PM »
A better approach would be to provide us links to the various parts you're using, and then to explain what you're even doing.  We'd be glad to provide help in that case, where our knowledge allows.

(pictures aren't so useful; this is a kind-of poor example, but there are a dozen IR rangefinders that look the same but are all different)
I

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 12:58:00 AM »
I'm sorry for that..
The Supersonic sensor is a SRF02, (already running, no troubles)
the display is a 4/8bit controlled HD44780 standard display (already running, no troubles anymore)

the 2 IR distance sensors is a GP2Y0A21YK0F, which simply gives an analog voltage back.
with this i have some problems, because i get high peaks sometimes.
do you know what could be done against that except shorten the cable (which is ~15cm unshielded)?

I currently use a ATMega 16, but I'm afraid i could run out of program memory when i continue extending the robot. Which Atmel µC would you recommend? is 64 enough for most applications? or should i take a 128?

I want to use two RFM12BP modules for wireless communication and to remote control the robot.
They use 3.3V levels, so i need a levelshifter. could you tell me where to find a levelshifter (for SPI)?

thanks already!

edit: here is an earlier video of a test drive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JR6X673sDk

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:11:28 AM by miicchhii »

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 07:43:39 AM »
Hi,

the 2 IR distance sensors is a GP2Y0A21YK0F, which simply gives an analog voltage back.
with this i have some problems, because i get high peaks sometimes.
do you know what could be done against that except shorten the cable (which is ~15cm unshielded)?
You probably forgot to mount a capacitor right at the terminals (i.e. at the back of the PSD's).
Twist the wires as well, just as a precaution, as it's very likely the missing cap that's causing you grief.

I currently use a ATMega 16, but I'm afraid i could run out of program memory when i continue extending the robot. Which Atmel µC would you recommend? is 64 enough for most applications? or should i take a 128?
The early versions of "Lotus 1.2.3." (the mother of all spreadsheats) was less than 10k IIRC. Then memory got cheaper and programmers grew sloppy...
IOW, it's up to your programming skills how much you can fit in a certain space - if you wanna be a real keen programmer, stay with a small space and practice code efficiency.
That said, there's no real need for preserving code space these days, as it's very cheap to get a larger controller

They use 3.3V levels, so i need a levelshifter. could you tell me where to find a levelshifter (for SPI)?
That's very easy to make yourself with a transistor - Google opportunity :)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:29:58 AM »
I currently use a ATMega 16, but I'm afraid i could run out of program memory when i continue extending the robot.
Do You use code optimization? If not, then start using it and space won't be a problem  ;)
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:10:37 AM »
Thanks for the answer and ideas.
I will try the cap and twist the wires and see what happens :)

I'm used to have a not very clean style programming,
and usually have lots of code for little tasks,
i guess i will take at least a mega64, to be sure ;)

Or do you mean Code Optimization for the compiler?
I always deactivated it (its -O0 if i remember correctly)
because a teacher recommended not to use it in AVR Studio 4..

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 03:50:28 PM »
Or do you mean Code Optimization for the compiler?
Indeed  :)

I always deactivated it (its -O0 if i remember correctly)
-O0 turns optimization off. -Os optimizes for size (often greater execution speed is also achieved). That is the option I advice You to use.

because a teacher recommended not to use it in AVR Studio 4..
If You are planning to write C code and not ASM, then You won't be able to live without optimization, as code simply will be too big to fit into any microcontroller. Optimization is there for a reason, hence it should be used if one wants hex file to be small and execution fast. I assume Your teacher told You not to use optimization as You are not very skilled in microcontroller programming and debugging just yet and optimizations makes debugging much more difficult if used incorrectly. Make Yourself a big favour and read/learn how optimizations work and why keyword volatile is used  ;)
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline smashing robots

• Helpful? 0
    • Robots
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 06:06:44 AM »
did you have another link because here are just parts of a robot
You can read my articles about robots on www.intorobotics.com

Get Your Ad Here