Author Topic: Trouble with Purchasing Axon II  (Read 1961 times)

Offline CompChemEngTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Trouble with Purchasing Axon II
« on: June 28, 2011, 08:50:15 AM »
Dear Admin,

I would like to purchase an Axon II + RoboRealm.  When I try to checkout, Google requires that I either scan in or fax them a "Government-issued identification" (i.e., a driver's license) and a "Billing address verification" (i.e., a bank statement).  Outside of coming off as a fairly creepy request on Google's part, I'm an intern this summer and getting a bank statement would require me to travel back home.

Would another form of payment, such as through PayPal or mailing in a check, be acceptable?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Trouble with Purchasing Axon II
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 09:48:41 AM »
ummmmm  . . . Are you a foreign national? Are you paying with just a normal credit card? Google Checkout otherwise shouldn't be asking for this . . .

Google requires that I either scan in or fax them a "Government-issued identification" (i.e., a driver's license) and a "Billing address verification" (i.e., a bank statement).
When you say 'either', do you mean they require either of these? What is your bank name?

Usually when they ask for verification, they credit some small amount to you, like 0.03 cents, and then you must check your account to verify that exact amount. Do they give you this option?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 12:27:12 PM »
Yes, I'm an American since birth and in West Virginia right now (with my permanent address in Virginia; doing a summer internship).  It seemed really questionable to me, so after I left work, I tried again at my apartment only for it to do the same thing.  I've cleared cookies (including Adobe's) and temp files, scanned the computer for viruses and malware, etc., etc., since it struck me as a phishing scam at first.  But IE9's pretty clear about the TLD being "google.com" and it seems connected to the rest of Google, so I don't know what to do.  To further the frustration, it looks like Google doesn't have a customer service hotline.

By "either", I mean that they want either:
-a scanned-in and attached picture file of a driver's license and a bank statement
OR
-my driver's license and a bank statement faxed to them.  (They provide "(650) 644-0159" as the fax number.)

My only thought is that I had first ordered the "Axon + RoboRealm".  When I browsed the site further, I saw the "Axon II + RoboRealm", so I used Google Checkout's option to cancel the order within the first fifteen minutes (which it didn't seem like was a big deal at all).  I then tried to order the "Axon II + RoboRealm" and, once I tried to checkout, it consistently gives me the page which I'm attaching screen shots of.  If you click the 'If you don't have a scanner, please click here.' link, it gives you the fax number that I mentioned above for US documents and "++44 207 681 1813" for international documents.

PS-  http://www.google.com/support/checkout/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78151 appears to address the current issue.  I have to admit, though, I'm wary of giving Google copies of my personal identification, and I'd really prefer a payment method that didn't involve this.  I'd really like to learn about robotics with microcontrollers, and I'm pretty excited about your site.  I just hope that this can work out.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:38:22 PM by CompChemEng »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:37:12 PM »
What is your bank/credit card company? It's possible your bank locked your account after you canceled then reordered. I once had that happen to me and had to call my bank to resolve the issue (not with Google Checkout, something else).

I can send you a paypal order if you'd like. Axon II + Roborealm, right?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:40:54 PM »
I use Bank of America.  And, thanks - I'll go ahead and sign up for PayPal (newbie to online shopping).  Yes, the "Axon II + RoboRealm" would be great!

PS-  I used my debit card to buy lunch today, so I think that the account's fine.  Still I'll call the bank after work to make sure.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:46:15 PM by CompChemEng »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 01:17:42 PM »
Ok, paypal order sent.

Send your mailing address to:

If you get it approved in the next 30 minutes, I can have it shipped out today . . . or tomorrow if I miss the mailman . . .

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 01:38:43 PM »
This is embarrasing, but Paypal rejected my application at first due to a failure to confirm the billing address.  And then it clicked - I changed my billing address from my family's home to my college apartment last time I was at the bank.  I made a new Google Checkout account and it seems to be working.  I submitted the order through there since PayPal seems to require a 24-hour period to confirm my account.

Thank you for all of your help, and I look forward to taking part in the forums here.  It looks like you guys have a lot of great stuff!

PS-  Nevermind. That apparently wasn't the problem.  The new transaction with Google Checkout's also cancelled.  =/  PayPal it is, once that confirms.

Sorry for all of the trouble.  I'm going to call the bank shortly to see what's up.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:02:16 PM by CompChemEng »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 02:01:49 PM »
I just got a message from Checkout about your order: "For your protection, Google cancelled this order. The transaction was considered fraudulent."

:P

My next shipping date is likely next Monday, unless I get a bunch of orders before then, in which case Saturday.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »
After a few phone calls, PayPal's sorted out.  So if I put in the order tonight, do you think it'll reach the destination address in Virginia by Tuesday, July 5th?  This'll help me figure which shipping address to put down.  =P  It'll work out either way, but since I bounce around between the places, I'll get it sooner if I guess the right one.

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:53:14 PM »
I'm glad admin got this figured out for you!  Something fishy is definitely going on.  Hopefully you'll enjoy your axon II!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »
So if I put in the order tonight, do you think it'll reach the destination address in Virginia by Tuesday, July 5th?  This'll help me figure which shipping address to put down.  =P
If it goes out on Monday, you're looking at either Wednesday or Thursday delivery.

I definitely understand . . . I move like once a year myself.