Author Topic: I need a robot built for me. (Paid Project)  (Read 2114 times)

Offline ineedrobots99Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
I need a robot built for me. (Paid Project)
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:28:08 AM »
I have no experience with robots, however I would like a simple project to be completed for me. Is there someone here that has experience that can build a robot for me? I am willing to cover the cost of materials and labor. It is a very simple robot that simply needs to dial 22 buttons on a work phone (you can modify the phone to your hearts content). Doesnt have to respond to anything in anyway, it just needs to be able to go off at a specific time of the day. If you know enough about building robots and believe you can accomplish this task, please contact me via PM and let me know what your rate will be. I can mail the phone to you.

my e-mail is [email protected]

Please feel free to contact me. :)

Offline heinz357

• Helpful? 1
Re: I need a robot built for me. (Paid Project)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 06:13:46 AM »
Hi, an interesting request!

Surely though, as a lot of mobiles have voice activated dialing these days, you could store the number to be dialed, and set the activation 'name' to be the sound of some sort of alarm clock placed next to the phone, set to go off at given time of day??

...or am I barking up the wrong tree??

Offline WaterPig Master

• Helpful? 3
  • Hurdy Gurdy playing at Raglan
    • WaterPigs.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 09:38:29 AM »
Does it have to go off regularly, every day?

I could probably build this without too much trouble…

Thanks,
Barnaby

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 07:44:15 PM »
actually im fairly certain any land phone would work. It has to connect in through a telephone while though. A mobile is definately "barking up the wrong tree" :P

Does it have to go off regularly, every day?Yes, that would be perfectly fine. If I don't want it to go off, I will just disconnect the telephone wire from the wall.

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 02:26:54 AM »
any reason not to use a computer modem?
these can be programmed to dial whatever number you want without any modification.

dunk.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 06:05:48 AM »
I don't believe that will work, nor would I like to keep a Laptop/PC connected to the area.

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 07:39:43 AM »
A DTMF with an attached RTC of some sort would probably be the easiest/quickest way of getting this done without a computer... that or something that emulates the keypad of the phone.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »
Hi,

As rbtying mentions, DTMF (Dual Tome Multiple Frequencies a.k.a. Touch Tones) is the way to go.
A relay should be used for controlling "on hook"/"off hook".
A 6-pin microcontroller like the PIC10F2xx can both control the relay on- and off hook and generate any number of tones with closely specified durations and pauses. Top it off with a 600 Ohm 1:1 transformer, an on/off switch and a limited number of passives and it will be a small and independent unit, connecting to the telephone line via a regular phone cable (no telephone needed).
It could be made to dial the number on weekdays only if needed and it could be made to repeat n times if not shut up by eg. pressing a certain key (or sequence) on the receiving phone

This assumes a single hard coded number to dial, if it needs to be programmable it will be a bit more complex
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Archangel

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 02:48:17 AM »
Questions:
Will this always dial the same number, or must it be programable?
Are you able to program eeprom space on PICs?

These questions speak to the device's complexity (code).

data_list