go away spammer

Author Topic: IEEE membership?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Spoil9Topic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
IEEE membership?
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:14:31 PM »
Has anyone joined the IEEE? What are the benefits to being a member and it is worth the money?
I'm starting at UIC in Aug for Electrical Engineering and know at some point the subject of joining will come up.
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: IEEE membership?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »
If you are student, you get a nice student discount for IEEE. Plus, free pizza during the meetings, and opportunities for competitions.

If you aren't a student, I don't really recommend it.

I'm only an IEEE member cause my boss is paying for it, and because its required to join the Robotics & Automation Society (the latter is worth joining, but its an additional $20/year).

I like their IEEE Spectrum magazine, and you get discounts from conferences, but its really not worth the $180+ membership fee . . .

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 02:08:43 PM »
Actually, being an adult IEEE has a number of advantages. If you are self employed, they have an awesome health plan for a reasonable price. They also have excellent life insurance, and a bunch of other packages like that.

- Jon

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 02:35:44 PM »
If you are self employed, they have an awesome health plan for a reasonable price. They also have excellent life insurance, and a bunch of other packages like that.
And if you don't join their plans, they'll keep resending you the plan every month in your mail (serious, every month).

Hmmm but at my age and physique, health plans aren't that useful. (plus, I got one through my job ;D)

But more seriously, Jon are you on their plan? I might reconsider in a few years . . .

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:57:01 AM »
I was on their plan when I lived in the US, but its not available in Canada.

- Jon

Get Your Ad Here