go away spammer

Author Topic: Working in the robotics field  (Read 1932 times)

Offline rong2000Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Working in the robotics field
« on: January 09, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »
Hi,
I’ve been working as a programmer for 4 years now (C/C++/C#/JAVA/etc) and I’m feeling it’s time for a change.
I’m looking into different fields of work, and one of them is robotics.
It seems a lot of fun to build these robots (I’m talking about creating robot kits, or building simple robot toys for kids.. not that Asimov-type-of-robots. in THAT case I’m guessing I’d be a REALLY REALLY tiny part of the system, which is less fun)
My problem is - I missing a lot of info about this line of career.I know the Internet is full of answers, but I’ve read and I’ve read, and there seems to be TOO MUCH information, and I keep losing myself in the little details.
SO! I’ve come to ask for your help, to answer these questions:
1.  What types of work are there in the robotics field? except the obvious robot programmers, electronic engineers and QA?
2. what knowledge/degrees do you need? (I come from the high-level software world, does this help me? what else do I need?)
3. How hard is it to get into the field (i.e getting a first job, advancing my career, etc). In the software world it is common to see younger people advancing fast, because you can build applications pretty quick (compared to building chip designs, or circuits), so I guess that robotics career move slower (in comparison to SW world). Am I correct?
4. where else should I look for more information? (please be specific if you can)

Thank you very much! (at least for reading this far :)) )
Ronnie

Offline sebjapon

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Working in the robotics field
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:55:43 PM »
Hello

I know the The Robot Report has an extensive directory of robotics companies. You can through them one by one and apply, look for jobs, etc... There are a whole bunch of robotics start-ups that employ regularly, and since you said you wanted a small environment rather than big corps, it may be a good place to look.
Here is the link to the directory

Offline rong2000Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Working in the robotics field
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 01:38:26 PM »
hey :)
my point wasn't to start working in the robotics industry right away.
I'm trying to gather information in order to decide IF to make the switch from programming to robotics.
Maybe I shouldn't leave my field, maybe starting all over would be a bad career move. Maybe this requires a whole new degree, and it'll set me back too much?

the problem is I don't know anybody that actually works in robotics, that's why I'm asking here.

But thank you, Sebjapon, I'll contact some of the companies in the list and ask THEM... (not expecting much though)

Meanwhile, can you guys help me shed some light on this industry? (i.e my questions in the previous post)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list