Author Topic: Battery charging circuit  (Read 2466 times)

Offline aaa3aTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
    • Skype - CharlesgrareOB
Battery charging circuit
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:57:53 AM »
hi folks

i have a robot with 2 batteries one for (axon micro controller ,a small devices,sensors) it's Ni-Mh 6volt (5x1.2volt AA 2200mA) battery and the other is 6volt 4Ah sealed lead acid battery for motors and current consuming devices i need to make a circuit to charge both batteries with a 9-12volt AC Adapter and disconnect the axon and the devices during charging and light green led when fully recharged also need to monitor battery charge to tell the micro controller the battery life during operation this could be a separate circuit but at the moment  i'm focus on the charging circuit. anyone can help me?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:22:03 AM by aaa3a »

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Battery charging circuit
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:56:25 PM »
You will need two separate charge circuits since you have two different battery chemistry. The charging techniques are very different for those two batteries.
I would recommend also have two separate AC-DC power supplies to help keep this simpler.
Disconnecting the batteries from the Bot will also help make this easier to do.

Now go do web searches (Google) on charge circuits:
One for NiMh and one for Lead Acid.

Offline aaa3aTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
    • Skype - CharlesgrareOB
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 04:42:39 AM »
You will need two separate charge circuits since you have two different battery chemistry. The charging techniques are very different for those two batteries.
I would recommend also have two separate AC-DC power supplies to help keep this simpler.
Disconnecting the batteries from the Bot will also help make this easier to do.

Now go do web searches (Google) on charge circuits:
One for NiMh and one for Lead Acid.

thanks waltr but i need it in the bot and i have no room for two charging circuits inside the bot is there ac adapter in the middle can charge both battery i mean i don't care so much about the battery life now as it's an experimental prototype and i can't unscrew the whole robot to charge the battery
here is my bot and you will understand me

http://www.theoldrobots.com/images12/om4.JPG

also i need to monitor the battery life with the axon controller so i need smart monitoring circuit

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:06:07 PM »
I would suggest just bringing the battery leads out to a connector, and put the charger smarts into your wall-plugin power adapter.
Battery health monitoring can be done with a current sensor (like the Pololu current sensor boards) and a voltage sensor (resistive divider + ADC input.)

Get Your Ad Here