go away spammer

Author Topic: my method of waterproofing servos  (Read 4230 times)

Offline andybentTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
my method of waterproofing servos
« on: April 03, 2009, 09:49:48 PM »
being an rc rock crawling enthusiast, i often get "rained out" and im really tired of this so im trying to piece together a good method of water proofing the electronics in the truck. the servo is pretty much under control, i have done servos on several other rc vehicles and the best way i know of to water proof a servo is to apply two O-rings around the servos output shaft or "horn" then put your control arms overtop of the orings. make sure the O-rings fit snugly and make sure the control arm, disk or lever your using is good and tight against the O-rings.   

now onto the cases. most servos come apart in two places using 2 to 4 screws. a sure fire water proof solution is to take the screws loose so you can view a gap between the body of the servo and the top, and between the body of the servo and the bottom plate. apply a Thin layer of permatex, also know as silicon rtv. this sealant can be located at almost any autoparts store, ie, autozone advanced auto, oriely's auto. after applying the silicon rtv, tighten the screws and apply another very thin layer of the rtv around the seams you have allready sealed. also not a bad idea to put some of the rtv around the base of each screw. alloy a full 24-48 hours to dry completely.

i will be waterproofing a servo and possibly attempting to make a video ilistrating the process.

*** I would also like to water proof my radio and esc (electronic speed controler), if any one has any ideas please respond, i feel strongly about rc and need the help***

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: my method of waterproofing servos
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:51:19 PM »
Putting the receiver in a balloon is common, and sealing the neck of the balloon with the RTV sealant to keep water out. Not reccomended for ESCs since they heat up.

Offline andybentTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: my method of waterproofing servos
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 10:03:42 PM »
well as of right now i can run the esc for about 2 hours before it heats up, i have a 55 turn brushed motor and on the esc there is a large aluminum heat sink. ive never ran it long enough to get it to hot to touch, scince everything is low speed high torque it stays pretty cool. however the motor and esc are in such close quarters to one another its difficult for me to be confident that the balloon wouldnt get caught in the gears.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots

Get Your Ad Here