Author Topic: HS-311 servo motor question  (Read 6233 times)

Offline mtnj356Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
HS-311 servo motor question
« on: June 12, 2007, 01:54:58 PM »
Hi,

Im going through the 50$ robot tutorial and im totaly new to this.  I looking at the section for modifying the servo motor.  Specifically this step:

7) Attached to the gear that was connected to the pot is a little slot for the pot to fit in. Remove the slot from the gear. Chances are you can just pull it right out with a flathead screwdriver. This slot is so when the gear rotates, the pot will rotate with it. Keeping the pot in a fixed location tricks the servo to think it is at the same location.

I belive they must have changed this gear.  When i flip it over the slot for the pot is present but its not a separte removable piece.  I was thinking just round it out with a dremel.

Good Idea, Or am i totaly misunderstanding something here?

Thanks,

Mike

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: HS-311 servo motor question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 04:00:35 PM »
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline Qubix

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 04:16:08 PM »
If you go with the way in the tutorial, I think using a dremel would be fine, just be careful not to accidentally damage any of the gear teeth.

Remove enough so that when the gear turns, the pot doesn't. Also glue the pot to make sure it stays in position(I'm sure that's in the tutorial as well)

David
http://robots.ie  - Ireland's robot site

Offline mtnj356Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 05:09:20 PM »
Thanks for the help :)

Im on the move again.

Offline garriwilson

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 10:31:02 AM »
Is there anyway to do it without a dremel because my parents are going to buy me a 100 dollar dremel just for that. Help please!

Offline Qubix

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 08:06:29 PM »
I have removed the centre of a gear with a normal drill bit in the past. Not in a power drill, I mean holding the bit in my hand (or with a pillars) and twisting, like a crude hand drill. You have a lot of control of how much you remove because its by hand. There are probably other better non dremmel ways to do this , that other people can suggest, but this worked fine for me.

David
http://robots.ie  - Ireland's robot site

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 07:34:48 PM »
Is there anyway to do it without a dremel because my parents are going to buy me a 100 dollar dremel just for that. Help please!
The gear plastic is really soft, so a box cutter/knife/razor blade could do it.

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 07:11:21 AM »
I used a razor blade to cut away the stop on the main gear so if you can get an XActo knife(<3) you should be able to manage quite nicely with that, slowly carving away thin shavings of it. Your gunna need some common sense and good motor skills for it but im sure you can manage that one ;)

-EDIT-
Oh, and I dremeled out the pot slot (lol, sounds funny..... yeahhh all nighters are not good for me mentally or physically :P) and it seems to be fine.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 07:17:29 AM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline steve_c

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 07:34:27 AM »
As an alternative to dremeling the potslot, has anyone tried snipping the excess off the pot once it has been glued into position?  Does anyone think that might work?

It seems like it would be easier... ???

Get Your Ad Here

data_list