Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Ali89Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Where to start?
« on: September 14, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »
Where should I start for a career in robotics? I'm in my early twenties and looking into developing and researching robots. But I have only the faintest of ideas on where to start. Will  achieving a BS(Bachelor's, not bullshit)  degree in electrical engineering computer programming and mechanical engineering is a must. This is a serious endeavor.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »
Start with a good math and physics base. Then either one of the degrees you mention or a combination would be appropriate. In most schools the first two years of any of those degrees have the same class requirements. So, if you can pick one then make the finial decision before the end of your second year.
Most Professional robotics development requires a team of people with mechanical, electrical, electronic, embedded systems and software experience.
Many of these fields do cross over. A BS is a minimum to get into the design aspect verse a Associate degree which would be minimum to work as a technician.

Just my take.
I have a BS in Physics but work as a electronic engineer. I do electronic and embedded system design, programming and managing of the projects and team members.

Offline jkerns

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 03:41:12 PM »
An engineering or computer science degree would be good. Which one depends on what part of the job interests you the most.

There are also some schools that are now offering B.S. degrees in Robotics Engineering.
I get paid to play with robots - can't beat that with a stick.

http://www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/bachelor-science-robotics-engineering.asp

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »
Hi Ali89,

If I may make a suggestion, a degree in Mechatronic Systems Engineering is perfectly suited to robotics.
I'm currently in my second year studying the subject at Western University, and I love it.  In fact, our final design project for this year (I'm in second year) is to design and build a robotic arm!

Offline MaliLev

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
  • D-Job machine manufacturing http://www.its-eng.com
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 07:06:52 AM »
I agree with the above, it really depends on which field you'd like to master  8)
I have a degree in mechanical engineering, and I ended up in prototypes, which is perfect for me. But what's perfect for you? You should explore your options, talk to people with different jobs in the field and try to figure out which discipline you like best.
Much luck!  ;D

Get Your Ad Here

data_list