go away spammer

Author Topic: USB Programmer  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Joker94Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
USB Programmer
« on: September 22, 2009, 07:01:38 PM »

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: USB Programmer
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 07:06:13 PM »
avrdude only... i would much rather get a programmer that is compatible with avr studio.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 07:33:10 PM »
thanks for pointing that out, i can't believe i over looked that detail as i to would much rather prefer avr for programming.

Thanks again Razor Concepts

i have been looking furthur into this and have now found this, it is the same one that features on digiky but is a better deal, as you mau have seen i am in Australia there for shipping can be a prob.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AVRISP-Atmel-STK500-AVR-ISP-programmer-USB_W0QQitemZ320372505646QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools?hash=item4a97b07c2e&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Offline billhowl

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 32
  • Your success is in your hands.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »
I have found this Mini ATMEL AVR ATMEGA STK500 USB Programmer ISP cost only US$11.47 +S/H is reasonably cheap and is compatible with avr studio.

http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=18

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 07:50:35 PM »
billhowl, it would cost me about $50 AUD from the site you posted but from Ebay it will only cost me $32.50 and free shipping.

Shipping gets me every time

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 08:20:34 PM »
For that price you might as well pay the little extra and get an official AVR ISP MKII that atmel produces.

Also sure electronics has an ebay store, may want to check it out.

Offline m4nti

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 01:49:15 AM »
Hey guys, I bought this programmer

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Serial-Atmel-ISP-programmer-works-with-AVR-Studio-4_W0QQitemZ270450128505QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET?hash=item3ef8157679&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

What else would I need in order to program an ATmega8 ? There seems to be the need for something which interfaces between this programmer and the actual microcontroller ? Or am I wrong ?

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 02:23:24 AM »
First thing is, to connect a micro controller to the programmer you will need a circuit board, this can either be your robot board or a seperate board that you design and make yourself.

This function is built into the $50 robot board, and the $50 robto board is based on an Atmega8. All it is 10 male header pins, 2x5 but only nine of them are needed for the programming function.

I have posted the link and a pic so you know what you are looking for all you have to do is look at the pin numbers and hook them up accordingly.

http://www.societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot_step3B.shtml

One final thing is that on the list on the bottom of the ebay site it does not mention the Atmega8 as a compatible chip, if it does not work all you have to do is get a chip that is compatable with it, but it may not be a problem as it is still an Atmega.

Offline radhoo

• Helpful? 1
    • My technology Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 03:07:50 PM »
You should go for that USBasp clone, it's a reliable programmer, and by now widely spread.

or build your own: http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 05:56:51 PM »
That was the very first one i posted but without the caseing, but Razor pointed it only works with AVRdude.

Have you had any experiencee with this programmer and was able to program with AVR studio.

Offline mdmedlin

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 12:48:29 AM »
I recently bought this one because it says it is compatible with the ATMega8
AVRISP Atmel STK500 AVR programmer USB Atmaga Attiny
I was wondering if I had to have the pony prog bootloader program also or does this already have the boot loader program in it.  I was going to make a seperate board to program the MCU.  I got the 5 pack of ATMega8 from ebay also. I thought it was a good deal in case I fry the first one I get.  It says it doesnot have the debugging that the MKII has.  It that really that important?  Also, how do I know on the 2x5 which one is pin1 on the programmer?
Do or do not, there is no try yes I changed my picture, it is of my daughter.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 02:53:38 AM »
To find pin 1 it should have a marking on the housing.

Personally i thing the seperate board for programming is a good idea as that way you don't have to include the programming pins into each cuircit wich can be handy if it is a complicated circuit.

The 5 pack of the chip is also a good idea as that way you don't have to fuss with code and interchanging the chips if and when you are working on more than one robot at a time. Using sockets is a goo idea that way you can change them from board to board and you cant fry them soldering.

As for the other questions sorry i cannot help with them.

Get Your Ad Here