go away spammer

Author Topic: Arduino USB  (Read 2782 times)

Offline tobee11Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Arduino USB
« on: September 12, 2010, 01:24:33 PM »
Hello - I am having issues connecting an Arduino USB board to the Arduino programming environment. I follow the instructions and try to upload the "blink" example program, but without success. I'm wondering if the board I have selected isn't correct, or if my board is too old to be supported. I have attached photos of what I have. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
Re: Arduino USB
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »
Assuming you have the Arduino v19 IDE right now, and an older arduino, I might know your problem.

Try the following:
- open the Arduino IDE > tools > board > select the option that says "arduino....w/ ATmega168".
- try changing the port you are communicating with: tools > Serial port > (try each available port)
- make sure the atmega168 chip is properly mounted in the DIP socket.

I need more info to better debug your issue...

Now the other problem could be that your board (from the looks of it) does not come with an LED soldered directly to pin 13...
meaning that your board very well might be functioning perfectly fine...theres just no LED present to indicate expected results.

when you try to upload code, after a few seconds in the bottom left of the screen, you should notice the words "Done Uploading".  does this show up?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 07:04:30 PM »
Hello,

Thank you for the input. I have set the Board to "Arduino BT w/ ATmega 168" and I have tried all available Serial Port options, but it still isnt working. I have attached a screen shot of the error message I get. I will try soldering an LED to pin 13 to see if that fixes it.

Thanks again. I appreciate the help.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 07:19:48 PM »
Sorry, here is the attachment with the details on the error message. Thanks again.

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 08:52:47 PM »
Oh no... not the:
"
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51
"
error again... :-\ :(

This is the worst thing that you may every experience with an Arduino.
This error can be one of a million different issues.

Here are some things to try:

1. Make sure you are using the the most recent version of the Arduino software.  Even try completely deleting the arduino folder containing "arduino.exe" and re-downloading the software from the arduino website.
2. power on your board, have it plugged into your computer, with the arduino IDE open and the blink sketch (or anything really) ready.  Press the reset button on the board and immediately press the upload button.
3. try plugging the usb cord into everysingle usb port you have avaiable on your computer.
4. go to "~/.arduino/preferences.txt" and make this change: "serial.debug_rate=9600"
5. bad firmware on the FTDI USb to serial chip
6. you might not have the arduino bootloader on your chip.  In this case you will need a programmer to burn the proper bootloader.  Here are some programmers: sparkfun programmer, AVRISP mkII programmer

I'm really sorry but beyond that I really cant help you.  That same problem has frustrated many a roboticist, Including me.  I was lucky with two out of three boards...they just needed the arduino booloader re-burned on them, but for the one other one...I still haven't had any luck.

Just copy the error code, paste in google and you should get alot of results, try any solutions people come up with.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 11:32:19 AM »
Ok, thanks very much :) If nothing works, I'll just buy a new freakin' board!

Thanks again.

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 06:34:13 PM »
There's no need to be so extreme.  I've burnt out a few Arduinos in the past - you can just use a SparkFun FTDI board instead.

Hook up the wires like this:

FTDI -> Arduino

DTR -> 100uF Cap (if electrolytic, anode) -> RESET
Rx -> Tx
Tx -> Rx
5v -> 5v
GND -> 5v

and you'll be able to program through the FTDI chip.  As a bonus, you can use the FTDI chip later to program a standalone or breadboard Arduino.

Get Your Ad Here