Author Topic: Manufacturing basics  (Read 2469 times)

Offline stopgoTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Manufacturing basics
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:09:05 PM »
I'm trying to get something manufactured.  Exactly what kind of relationship does the manufacturer have with various components?  It seems like for PCBs there are "turnkey" solutions where I can tell the manufacturer what parts I want and from where and they'll order them and put it all together.  What if I add a casing and motors to the mix?  Same idea?  I track down some place on the web that has a motor I want and give the manufacturer the part number?

So all in all, I might give a manufacturer: EagleCAD drawing, Solidworks drawing, part numbers (and locations?) for the specific components in those drawings?  And money.  And they'll give me back an assembled product?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Manufacturing basics
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »
It depends on what exactly you are getting manufacturered and how many you need made.

If it was strictly PCB, you give them the gerber files, instructions on layers, how many to make. You must mail them all the components to use (I tell mouser to mail it directly to them), or tell them the part #'s for them to order it for you.

data_list