Author Topic: Full size humanoid robot built around a wood mannequin?  (Read 4057 times)

Offline sparta98Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • Just try it.
Full size humanoid robot built around a wood mannequin?
« on: June 11, 2010, 09:21:27 AM »
I am wondering if anybody has tried building a humanoid robot around one of those big mannequins.
(not the kind in the store that model clothes, one that you might find in an art room)

I am curious because I think that they look really cool, and the idea of an AI along with one of them is interesting to me. I dont necessarily mean a practical one, just one that works.
It's a simple computation, you take easy conversation, exploration...
Robots in Love by Beautiful Small Machines

Offline The Big B

• Helpful? 1
Re: Full size humanoid robot built around a wood mannequin?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 09:58:34 AM »
Thats not a bad idea, I think I know the mannequins you talking about they are wooden things with very movable joints so that the artist can get it into any position that they require. The only problem I see with it is that they may be too movable, it is very difficult to control a robots legs. All the different possible orientations of the foot and hip joints would be very complex.

I mean look at all the money Honda have and their humanoid robot has some small errors, I'm in no way saying it's not possible or that Asimo is not impressive just that it would take a huge amount of work and money.

Heres Asimo making a mistake Honda's Asimo Robot buckling on the stairs

• Helpful? 0
  • Just try it.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 04:43:55 PM »
I have seen asimo, and I feel like it's more of a prestige project than a serious humanoid attempt... If the legs proved too difficult, I suppose it would be a deterrent...

I can't really say that I could do better than Honda though...

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 08:20:35 PM »
Hi,

Stumbling is OK, people do that too occasionally, but not being able to get back up on his own is a far larger problem with Asimo IMO.
(Ohh, and the fact that it walks like a semi-drunk person who soiled his pants).

Errors are excuseable (and unavoidable), not having a recovery strategy in such a million dollar project is not!
Even my 16 months old grandson can do better in that department (not walking stairs, but getting up whenever he tilts over).

Start off with a stationary body, moving a single arm or turning the head a little can make a powerfull impression when onlookers think they're looking at an inanimate object.
Then improve a little bit at a time gaining experience and soon you'll be the talk of the town, but making a fully fledged and convincing android is likely not gonna happen on a hobby budget or by a single persons work.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
  • Just try it.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 04:47:09 PM »
At the rate their robot is going in that video, it would have rusted before the top anyway=P
I could see people 30 years from now... Hahaha, look at that thing! Is that supposed to be a robot?

Get Your Ad Here

data_list