go away spammer

Author Topic: Guide: How to create bootloader shortcuts  (Read 9205 times)

Offline GertlexTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Guide: How to create bootloader shortcuts
« on: August 11, 2008, 12:08:18 PM »
I personally find opening cmd.exe, changing directory, and then copy pasting the fboot17.exe stuff from a text file to be tedious.

In the past, I've run java programs of mine by creating a shortcut on the desktop.  I finally got around to looking at how I did this (I had to connect my ext. HD, since this predates my reformatting a couple months ago).

To create this initially, right click in explorer or the desktop and create a new shortcut.  A window pops up and you browse to the folder with the code in it, then select the fboot17.exe.  It will ask you for a name (which defaults to FBOOT17.EXE). You should give it the same name as the project folder, probably.  You also get to select an icon. I like the dynamite one, personally :D

Here's a screenshot of the properties window that I use for my Photovore's code updates:

To properly set this up, go to the properties of the shortcut.  In the General tab, the only thing of note is the shortcut's name, next to the icon. In my case, I put Photovore1.

Then in the Program tab:
The space next to the icon can be left blank. If you put something here, it will be the title of the cmd.exe window that opens when the shortcut is clicked.  (in this case, I again use Photovore1)
"Cmd line:" has a full entry of:
C:\DOCUME~1\Eric\AVRSTU~1\PHOTOV~1\FBOOT17.EXE -b115200 -c2 -pAxon.hex -vAxon.hex
And "Working:" has:
C:\DOCUME~1\Eric\AVRSTU~1\PHOTOV~1

With this setup, it should work right off. Just make sure the COM port is connected. (in my case, COM2, or -c2)

For other programs, you can simply copy the shortcut and edit the properties.  The only parts you need to change are the names, and the project folder (highlighted in red in screenshot).

This second screenshot is the one that I had set up for a java program.  The shortcut properties window is different, despite the fact that in both cases, my computer has been Windows XP Pro.  I'm able to get this one again if I use a .exe in the system32 folder. *shrug*

If your properties window looks like this, just modify Target and Start-in to have the same contents as "Cmd line" and "Working", respectively.

And this is what it looks like while running.  After it finishes, the cmd.exe window closes. You just have to open the shortcut again to do it again.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 06:16:00 PM by Gertlex »
I

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
Re: How to create bootloader shortcuts
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 02:32:21 PM »
Thanks for this, I've been really irritated with the command line also and changing directories

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Guide: How to create bootloader shortcuts
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 06:37:59 PM »
Something I should have done long ago . . .

I just linked this thread to the Axon tutorial.

Thanks! :)

Offline Ocelot

• Helpful? 0
Re: Guide: How to create bootloader shortcuts
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 09:58:46 AM »
Hi I just saw this thread and thought I'd post another way to automate the bootloader cmd commands.

Step 1: Open Notepad or any other text editor
Step 2: Type the following lines...

cd C:\My_Robots\Tester\
FBOOT17.EXE -b115200 -c3 -pTester.hex -vTester.hex

(note: these are the same lines you'd type in the cmd window)

Step 3: Save your new file as a .txt file in the desired location (can be any where)
Step 4: Right click on the file icon and select rename (note: make sure in your folder options you have "Hide extensions for known file types" UNCHECKED)
Step 5: Change the extension in the filename from .txt to .bat

And you're finished! Now all you have to do is double click your .bat file to start the bootloader!

(btw this method can be used for all cmd window commands)

Hope you find this helpful!

Get Your Ad Here