Author Topic: Free simulator  (Read 34484 times)

Offline hgordon

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 7
    • Surveyor Robotics Journal
Re: Free simulator
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2007, 11:28:06 PM »
Gamefreak -

Do yourself a favor and stay with Windows.  If you don't have the patience to work through basic procedures such as installing and configuring the operating system, you don't have a prayer of configuring applications such as Player / Stage / Gazebo on Linux, where you may have to edit script files, compile your code, etc.  Unless you find someone local who understands Linux configuration and can give you a lot of support, you're just going to get a lot more frustrated, and it's painful to watch.

I really think you should let it go ... you're not ready for this.

Surveyor Corporation
  www.surveyor.com

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2007, 12:13:53 AM »
I think the point is that this is a Robotics forum. He should take his questions to the Ubuntu Forums, and then maybe the player/stage/gazebo forums. I wish I had the time to help out but I'm in the process of moving from Montana to Iowa and then starting a new job, so I can't be that much help at the moment.

Offline gamefreakTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2007, 07:16:07 AM »
alright, then can we get back to the original question?

Is there any FREE simulator that has mass, physics, dynamics, and that sorta of useful stuff? The only thing i have found is Webots which seems to have it all but it is not free.....
and the simulator needs to be for windows.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:17:57 AM by gamefreak »
All hail Rodney, the holy 555 timer
And Steve said: "Let there be lead!"

Offline dcole07

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2007, 03:27:18 PM »
Did anyone suggest running VMware Server? It's free(not this runs Operating Systems and is not a simulator)! I was going to test it out but I have VMware Workstation and it had a spazzz... so it sounds like it could run a Virtual Server for you.

For Ubuntu... here is some install help if you still want it:
# When Ubuntu finishes booting double click the icon that says “Install.”
# It will take you through a few basic steps, getting information about what language you speak and what time zone you live in. Then it asks you how you want to install Ubuntu, either as a dual boot system or all by itself. If you want to completely remove Windows and put Ubuntu in its place just check the option that says something like “reformat entire drive” or whatever. Then click “next” and finish out the install process.If you’re desiring to dual boot with Windows XP then tell it that you want to manually edit the partitions (I forget the exact wording). When you click “next” you’ll see that there is currently one partition on your drive. Click on the big box and then look in the menu bar, click the icon that looks like an arrow pointing at a wall. Then click and drag that big box to make it smaller. Click on the gray box that says “unpartitioned” and then “add new”. You need to create two new partitions in this unpartitioned space. The smaller one has to be something like 2 Gigs. The larger one should just be whatever is left over. The smaller partition will be used as “swap” space (whatever that is.) The other larger partition will hold your Ubuntu install and will be used for the “/”. Just trust me.
# Assign each partition to a particular purpose. Remember, the smaller partition will be used for “swap” and the larger for “/”.
# During the install process it may tell you that you have not assigned anything to Partition #1 and you can either go back and assign something to it or not use it at all. You don’t want to use it because that’s where Windows is. Continue installing.
# DONE!

Side note: http://www.dell.com/linuxsurvey Looks like Dell is getting Linux!!!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 04:03:21 PM by dcole07 »

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2007, 04:26:14 PM »
about the installing, earlier in this topic i was told that if i dont have a free partition i cant do this, but it appears that i make a new partition during the install....

also how do i backup my computer without an external harddrive and be garunteed that when i make a new partition that it wont erase the backup...

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2007, 04:37:47 PM »
I tried doing that^ and it didn't work for me, just messed up my pc. teh best thing would to get some cheapo hard drive and do all on it. there is always the chance of losing data when doing stuff like this
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline Kohanbash

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2007, 05:43:53 PM »
you need an empty unpartitioned space in order to make a new partition.
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2007, 06:07:22 PM »
Generaly the best thing to do is make a partition in windows and put linux on the just made partition when you install linux.
I've never done it personaly (it's just what my friend says)because the hard drives of all the windows computers I've had get wiped out. Not that you should do this, especialy if you are just trying linux out for a project.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 06:12:16 PM by JesseWelling »

Offline Kohanbash

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2007, 06:12:44 PM »
I have found the easiest is that during the install there is an option to use the largest continuous free space. and that way i let Linux worry about the swap, root, and boot partitions.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2007, 07:18:59 PM »
@sdk: i dont think i ever got that option, i'll try again after i compress/defragment/uninstall stuff on my harddrive to help the linux.

this is from the ubuntu forum
Before you try to do manual partitioning, make sure you defragment the hard drive from within Windows. Windows writes data all over the drive regardless of how much space is available, and if you don't partition, you can lose data and make Windows inoperable in some cases.

As Kobalt mentioned, http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing is an excellent resource for getting help with installation and configuration.

so i figure after i get it defrgmented then if i dont get the option it should be fine to manual partition
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:25:05 PM by gamefreak »

Offline Kohanbash

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
Hi
I think that you always get that message the screen I'm talking about is within the manual partitioning when you create the install area there is an option for that.

As i said if you don't have free room now than unless you reinstall windows or use a program like partition magic you still wont have room.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2007, 08:24:19 PM »
my C: drive has over 40 gigs of free space, so i have plenty of room.... i think when the defragmenting finishes i should have up to 50 gigs and that should have a fairly large "continous free space" for the installer to use.

also if i was to back up my computer, i absolutly want my system state, but is there anythign else i absoulutly need?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 09:27:53 PM by gamefreak »

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2007, 06:33:13 AM »
guys, if you are having to ask questions about partitions, DO NOT consider trying to install linux on the same hard drive as windows unless you are prepared to loose your existing windows partition.
if you want to make the backups and try anyway you will get far more help by finding an online tutorial explaining dual booting. this is a robotics forum not an operating systems forum after all.

dunk.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2007, 08:12:05 AM »
i joined the ubuntu forum to figure this out, so can we get back to the original question about a free simulator..... for windows

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2007, 12:37:16 PM »
I realize that this is kinda like letting the horse out of the barn after the fire, but there is a good free simulator at this site... www.behaviorbasedprogramming.com

I suggets you buy the book as well...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 12:38:42 PM by Steve Joblin »

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2007, 05:56:49 PM »
that is a simulator... but i mean one that i can actually design the robot, that one is just a circle with sensors and i cant modify it.

Offline lakenside

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2007, 09:59:02 AM »
do not worry about free or not just download it and go to www.freeserial.com for the keys.

Get Your Ad Here