Author Topic: Need help with AVR programmer cable (roboblock-C2 AVR ISP)  (Read 2522 times)

Offline vialickTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Need help with AVR programmer cable (roboblock-C2 AVR ISP)
« on: March 26, 2009, 06:17:21 AM »
Hi, I'm making the $50 robot and I managed to buy this programmer link

I've checked around and can't find a datasheet, it has 6 pins in one row (as opposed to two rows of three) the colours of the pins go: red, yellow, green, blue, white, black. Not sure if that will help.
from the website:
1.Product description

This cable can write ATMEL's AVR micro processor series. Our company provide it very low price!

It can supply AT90s2313, AT90s8515, AT908535, ATMEGA103, ATMEAG128 etc...

Good for beginner at micom.

No need ROM writer. 

Anyone got any ideas on how I can connect this to the ATmega? I've sent them an email with no response yet.

• Helpful? 0
Re: Need help with AVR programmer cable (roboblock-C2 AVR ISP)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:11:32 AM »
Well, I opened up the plug and from the circuit board found the following descriptions (guess I probably should have done this before posting earlier :P )

Red VCC
Yel SCK
Gre MOSI
Blu RE?T (i guess REST)
whi MISO
BLA GND

would it be fair to assume that I should connect them to the ATmega8 as follows (from the pin descriptions in the atmega8 datasheet)

R - pin 7 (VCC)
Y - pin 19 (SCK)
G - pin 17 (MOSI)
B - pin 1 (reset)
W - pin 18 (MISO)
B - pin 22

While I guess nothing expensive is at risk, I'd rather not melt anything in a failed experiment...there's no retail electronics shops in Korea, it's all online. So it'd be annoying to pay 5000 won shipping for a 2000 won part

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 01:13:50 AM »
if u can connect to the right pins...then i guess ull face no problems...
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

"IN THE END IT DOESNT EVEN MATTER"

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 01:38:06 AM »
I'm mostly worried that I'll connect two outputs together. I'm not sure if the labelling on the board is in referrence to the programmer or the chip. If I connect the output of the programmer to the output of the chip then at best nothing will happen, and it will probably be a pain for me to troubleshoot (all my electrical thinking has been shaped by audio work...this is probably a laughable concern).

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 11:00:38 AM »
the only thing u need to do is that  need to cnnect the eight pins...miso to miso...mosi to mosi...sck to sck...grnd to grnd ,vcc to vcc...thats it...its gonna work
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

"IN THE END IT DOESNT EVEN MATTER"

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 05:05:45 AM »
Well I've connected up the board...everything's looking promising and then...

I get the wrong USB to Parallel converter...I get one that goes to a centronics connector instead of a DB25 (as the site's in Korean it was difficult to check details...and the picture says "usb to paralel" not "usb to printer". Unfortunatly the webstore I bought it from doesn't have one that goes straight to a DB9 female. And returning it may end up costing half of the initial cost.

They do however have a usb to serial cable, with a DB9 to male DB25 plug (meaning I'd need to buy/make a gender converter if that would even work)

Should I try to make a converter from centronics to F DB25 using the pinouts here. Connecting data bit 0 to data bit 0, etc.

Help me Obi wan Kenobi, you're my only hope

Offline dellagd

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Come to the dark side... We have cookies!
    • Exodus Rocketry
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 04:31:48 PM »
I had the exact same problem.
Sparkfun got their parts mixed up and I called and then sent me a completely new and correct one, free of charge.
Just call and tell them your situation.

here is my forum post, if this helps
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=7204.msg54780#msg54780
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 04:34:41 PM by dellagd »
Innovation is a product of Failure, which leads to Success.

If I helped, +1 helpful pls

I Won!
3rd place! I'm taking $100

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 10:29:04 PM »
I had the exact same problem.
Sparkfun got their parts mixed up and I called and then sent me a completely new and correct one, free of charge.
Just call and tell them your situation.

here is my forum post, if this helps
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=7204.msg54780#msg54780

Ah, well the problem is all mine...plus I've opened the packet on the usb-parallel (which is how I found out it was a centronics connector. I did a bit of extra digging up and apparently usb - parallel things just don't work (wish I knew that before...everything I found before suggested that parallel was the way to go). I ended up convincing the treasury (ie fiancee) that I do really need some extra funding for this project and hopefully my USB ISP will be arriving soon.

As for ringing up and trying to explain the situation, I'm living in Korea at the moment, and my Korean is limited to the basics (a few animals, hello, goodbye, "you wanna die", and swearing). Also if I have to change a \10000 part I end up having to pay \7500 shipping (including the initial shipping).

Though I am still curious if it would work...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 06:12:59 PM »
usb - parallel things just don't work (wish I knew that before...everything I found before suggested that parallel was the way to go).
yea, I didn't know either at first and it caused me a lot of headache . . .

my Korean is limited to the basics (a few animals, hello, goodbye, "you wanna die", and swearing).
hehe, you wanna die, my favorite korean phrase . . . chugalay?

A bit off topic, but I often live in Thailand for long periods of time. How's it like building robots in Korea?

Get Your Ad Here