Author Topic: KIM-1 and Tod Loofbourrow's Mike  (Read 2413 times)

Offline 4075aaronTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
KIM-1 and Tod Loofbourrow's Mike
« on: March 25, 2014, 09:23:13 AM »
Hi Everyone...I am new to this forum and fairly new to robot building.  I have always had a great interest in it, and when I was younger I always wanted to build Tod Loofbourrow's Mike ("How to Build a Computer Controlled Robot").  I am older now, and in a place money wise to maybe give it a try.

Before I can even consider trying this, I have some questions about the KIM-1 that is used.  Anymore, getting a vintage KIM-1 can be costly (in working condition they seem to run anywhere from $400 - $1,500, which seem expensive for such an old computer).  Briel Computers makes a mini-KIM-1 for about $100 (kit, $160 assembled and tested), but would that work in place of the original KIM-1?  It has 4 fewer expansion pins, but Briel claims that none of the CPU pins are missing.  I have not been able to find a pin scheme for the original KIM-1 to verify this.

I have also had no luck contacting Briel Computers.  I have requested to join their forums several times, and sent several emails (over the past six months).  Part of me thinks I should just buy their mini-KIM-1 and see how it goes, but I would hate to start this project with a problem already.

Also, I think I would need to modify the power supply for Mike; Tod shows that the KIM-1 needs 5 volts.  The Briel version needs between 7 and 9...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
Re: KIM-1 and Tod Loofbourrow's Mike
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 03:48:42 PM »
 :) Hello!
I would offer an opinion.
If you are pursuing old robot building, beware! Some of the old chips, Nand, Xor, and flip-flops can
not be bought, they are obselete. If your robot breaks down, it is a real job to get it back running.
If the style of the robot is appealing, your could use modem robot brains in the body of the
robot you like, then you can "upgrade" the personality, and repairs are a snap. I have a Hero - Jr,
and have run into this problem. I am in the process of copying the "personality" from the original,
and plan to put it into a beaglebone black that I have. That way, My Hero-Jr will never die.
Good Luck!   ;D

Get Your Ad Here

data_list