Author Topic: Programming a Chess Playing Robot  (Read 2987 times)

Offline paddymcd93Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 1
Programming a Chess Playing Robot
« on: January 22, 2015, 07:19:11 AM »
I am making a robot which will play a game of chess against me. In the project I will be using both an Arduino Uno and and Raspberry Pi board. The arduino will be used to scan 64 reed switches (one for each square) to see if a square is occupied and also to drive stepper motors in X,Y and Z axis's so the pieces can be picked up and moved.

The Pi board will run Stockfish (chess engine) using UCI (Universal Chess Interface) and monitors the game state using the ChessBoard Library. I have downloaded each of these programmes onto my computer.  But I do not know how to install the software onto my Raspberry Pi board. P.S. I am new to the Pi board.

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
Re: Programming a Chess Playing Robot
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 06:15:42 PM »
 :) Hello!
Cool project! I have not played with the Raspberry Pi, but do have a beaglebone.
Both are challenges to load programs on, to me anyway. The Raspberry Pi community
support would be best to help with the installation of the software on you Pi. Beaglebone uses
Linux; do not know what Pi uses.
In reference to the pieces on the board; you will also have to have a way to identify the
chesspiece, unless the computer remembers what was supposed to be there from teh begining.
(who would switch the pieces?) Good Luck!  :)

Offline paddymcd93Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 06:40:07 AM »
Thanks I will try the posting in a Raspberry Pi forum. With regards to identifying each piece on the board the chess engine which will be running from the Pi board will know where each piece began and so where each piece moves too. For every second move, I will move my pieces and I have designed a gantry like robot which will pick and move the other coloured pieces.

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 07:33:52 AM »
 8)
There was somebody else on this forum who was doing this....
The pieces going to be identified by magnets or retroflective tape,
which had sensors underneath the board to know which piece was what.
Good Luck!   ;D

Get Your Ad Here