Author Topic: UART Hardware related issue  (Read 1826 times)

Offline rmoreTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
UART Hardware related issue
« on: July 13, 2012, 09:46:52 PM »
Hello All,

I am planning to add UART feature to my robot in order to read the sensor output values. So I was reading thru Admin's post and decided on going for the:

TTL --> TTL to USB Adaptor --> PC approach.

And hence would buy the - SparkFun Breakout Board for CP2103 USB.

Being a rookie, I ask this question - I need a male/male USB cable to use this above breakout board isnt it?
This cable should supposedly connect the breakout board to the PC....

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Further, can I go ahead any buy this:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/512

Thank you for your help.

Rmore

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: UART Hardware related issue
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 08:03:38 AM »
Being a rookie, I ask this question - I need a male/male USB cable to use this above breakout board isnt it?
This cable should supposedly connect the breakout board to the PC....
Correct.

Why not to go with something like this --> USB to TTL Serial Module with four PCB header wires

I own one myself and it works great.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline rmoreTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »
new In Robotics,

Thanks. So basically with the hardware that you are using and have suggested, I will anyways have to buy a male/male USB cable to connect this new hardware to the PC. Right?

Also, I believe the 4 wires that are seen in the pic are the ones going to the microcontroller (VCC,GND,RX and TX). What are the 6 pin-outs from the board for then?

Rmore

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 06:26:02 AM »
Hi

So basically with the hardware that you are using and have suggested, I will anyways have to buy a male/male USB cable to connect this new hardware to the PC. Right?
Right, all You have to use is A-type male to A-type male cable, or You can put header pins on Your board for USART access and simply make custom cable that fits header on the board and has USB to TTL module on the other end, that way You can use one cable for many devices.

Also, I believe the 4 wires that are seen in the pic are the ones going to the microcontroller (VCC,GND,RX and TX). What are the 6 pin-outs from the board for then?
If You give a better look to the description of the device You would notice the following:
6pins for 3.3V, RST, TXD, RXD, GND & 5V.
:)
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
If you want to buy from sparkfun, this would be a better board than the one in your initial post: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716

The one that newInRobotics linked should work fine, too.

I'm not sure why people keep finding that overpriced sparkfun board with uncommon USB connector that you mention in your first post...
I

Offline CdRsKuLL

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 09:26:16 AM »
I'm also using usb --> serial converter to listen / talk to my Arduino. I've wrote a simple program in VB.net. If you would like a copy of the source then let me know. It just allows you to talk to the arduino via the PC. :-)

thanks,

Get Your Ad Here