go away spammer

Author Topic: Viability of this method video and audio communication  (Read 1961 times)

Offline MastermimeTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Viability of this method video and audio communication
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:42:41 AM »
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could tell me if my idea for long range video communication has the possibility of working.

So heres what I have in mind

USB webcam > Beaglebone Black running the application Oovoo on Android> Data transfer through a 4g USB modem (cellular) > received by another 4g USB Modem > Beaglebone Black running Oovoo on Android  > outputs to monitor

Then I was thinking I could use Oovoo's instant messaging system for sending sensor data back.

Is this possible?  Are there any pitfalls anyone foresees?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:55:52 AM by Mastermime »

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: Viability of this method video and audio communication
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:29:33 AM »
Bump

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
If both of the 4G cellular modems have decent coverage (and appropriate data plans) then yes, that could work with the right software. I don't know if oovoo is the right software for this -- haven't heard of it before -- but in theory, yes, video is just data with a certain bandwidth requirement.

If you only need a mile or two, you could consider 5 gHz "FPV" cameras/transmitters/receivers as used in the quadcopter/drone hobbies. For the stronger transmitters, you may need to get HAM radio operator qualified, but that's not terribly hard I've heard.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 04:59:15 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation.

I've done a lot with analog transmission and haven't had much success with it, which is why I'm trying cellular.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list