Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Linear Remote Control Servo

(1/4) > >>

camerarobot:
I am new to robot construction and electronics in general.  Before I jump into making a full robot I want to make a remote control cable release for my old camera.  I have a few ideas but am not sure how to implement them. 

I have been reading a lot here and it seems that if I use a servo motor then I can get a linear motion adapter kit for it.  But I am confused as to how to control the servo.   I want to use a simple on/off one or two button RF remote control that trips a relay whch trips the servo.  The RC needs to be small, about the size of a keyless remote, and the servo has to move forward about 1-2 inches to depress a cable release button.

First, what happens to a servo motor if it is hooked up to power?  Does it stay still.  I have read that you use a "pot" to control the pulse of the servo.  How do I wire up this  simple operation.  I should be able to figure it out but cannot on my own.  Thank you in advance for your help.

I attached a picture to help explain.

Trikky2:
I'm sure others here will be better to help with the servo question, but when I saw your idea I immediately thought of using a linear actuator ?

Should be able to find something that suits at :
http://surplussales.com/Motors/Motors-6.html

Hope that helps.

All the best.

Richard

izua:
I'm pretty sure that if the trigger for the camera doesn't require too much force, you can get away with it by using the servo horn to push it.

As for control method, you don't cut out the power via a relay, power to the servo controller is always on. you just change the signal (there is no pot). The signal should be between 1ms and 2ms wide, to give you the required angular position.
Since you made a little shiny thing on your picture instead of an antenna, it just popped into my mind that you could actually use IR for triggering the servo, instead of RC, which is expensive.

But you will need a microcontroller, anyway.

camerarobot:

--- Quote from: izua on February 24, 2008, 05:32:45 AM ---I'm pretty sure that if the trigger for the camera doesn't require too much force, you can get away with it by using the servo horn to push it.
--- End quote ---

What is a servo horn?

--- Quote from: izua on February 24, 2008, 05:32:45 AM ---As for control method, you don't cut out the power via a relay, power to the servo controller is always on. you just change the signal (there is no pot). The signal should be between 1ms and 2ms wide, to give you the required angular position.
Since you made a little shiny thing on your picture instead of an antenna, it just popped into my mind that you could actually use IR for triggering the servo, instead of RC, which is expensive.

--- End quote ---

Now I am confused about how I change the signal.  I would like to use an IR remote control but I feel the distanse will be too far. I can by a RF remote control that trips a relay for about $40.  I am really new at this os I am sorry that I don't understand you 1ms to 2ms suggestion.

--- Quote from: izua on February 24, 2008, 05:32:45 AM ---But you will need a microcontroller, anyway.

--- End quote ---
I have no experience with a microcontroller.  This is what i fear having to use.  I want to make a simple on/off switch that presses the cable release button when I hit the remote control.

--- Quote from: Trikky2 on February 24, 2008, 05:21:39 AM ---I'm sure others here will be better to help with the servo question, but when I saw your idea I immediately thought of using a linear actuator ?

--- End quote ---

I too thought of a linear actuator but I am confused about them as much as I am about servos.  Could I wire a switch to a linear actuator to have it move forward?  How does it work?  Thank you again.

izua:
A linear actuator (solenoid) might be much simpler in your case, since it simply requires DC with polarity reversal (so no signals or microcontroller needed).
The servo horn is the servo's arm, that black/white round/cross/line/circle thing you stick on the output gear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version