go away spammer

Author Topic: Automatic Wing Raiser (Move Wing Up / Down)  (Read 2440 times)

Offline alexusTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Automatic Wing Raiser (Move Wing Up / Down)
« on: December 29, 2009, 04:40:57 PM »
Hey all!
My first post here :-) and probably I need some help with mechanical ideas for my project  ;)
So here is what I have:

I want to do have a wing wised from the body of air plain. So imagine you have plain surface like a desk and the wing raises form it and possibly unfolds like marine aircraft wings.

First though was to use linear actuators that are used in pulling TVs out of the furniture :( but they are large and they take too much air space so it will hit my aerodynamics properties a lot. So now I’m out of ideas... though about servos but they are not too powerful :(

Here my major problems:
1. Wing and mechanic storage space is only ~2" deep
2. Once wing is release it has to be lock firmly to sustain air pressure of up to 200 Kg
3. Also wing should not vibrate

Well that’s what I have, so maybe some one can give me advice?

PS: I'm on electronics side not mechanics :(

Offline little-c

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
Re: Automatic Wing Raiser (Move Wing Up / Down)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 05:05:10 PM »
motor, pully and interlocking joints. basicly. I can sketch something pretty quickly given a design spec.

some options from a feasablity point of view, may or may not be suitable.

wing folds into a L shape. more wing space.

wings open from the underside, so the wieght holds them in place.(in flight, grounded is dificult)

two degrees of freedom, wings open in a z shape. kind of like a fan. would be straight foward arrangment of pullys. one to open, one to shut.

fold wing back. sweeps back, gives you variable geometry?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:11:20 PM »
i think my brain just got biled =)
where those separate alternativess ? =)

I think i need do to scetch myself to figure what u saying? let me try to do drawings

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:32:55 PM »
ok
Adding small sketch...
Dimensions are not really fixed it can be anything. at this moment im just playing around with concept ... once i got this figured will start building new plain model and then will readjust everything for it =)

L- Shape as i figure would just fold in
Underside Concept - something should be pushing? But what cant we open it while idle speed?
Z- I guess that’s something like children frog toys where you push the sides it extends?

Offline little-c

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 05:18:11 AM »
Im thinking in terms of a system comprised of a dc motor, gear and winding mech, attached to a bit of string. the string is routed over the outside of each jointand is shortened to pull the wing out, and lengthened to let it down.
mounted sideways in the plane.
an L shape would be a single joint fixed to the base, which pushes up a wing. the top would run in a grove.

a Z shape is used to raise the wing, with the top and base fixed. the center of the wing would be extendable.

mounted allong direction of travel, they would pull the wing foward or back.

easy model is to use a strip of paper and fold into an L shape and a Z shape.

an X shape, hinged in the center(two pens) is an option. but it would require two grove on the top and on the bottom. plus it can jam easily.

M shaped is a bigger Z shape, but two mounted facing eachother could provide a vertical lift whilst maintaining the wing position.
ie M
   W

a V shape works like an M shape.

make the letters above with bits of cardboard/paper/matchsticks/3D modeling software. and look at how they hinge and how you can use them to lift the wing.

you could use variations on the theme of a hydralic system, but thats a bit more complicated.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:41:17 AM »
well unfortunatly for me im not sure how to implemenmt or interper the lleter shapes operations :( as i said im not coming from mechanics (maybe you can post some links to videos so i see examples in work :)

Right now I have servo mounted to the wood and it extends up .... like rising the arm... i will connect top palete to it and will do video as i cant really decibe this in words

Get Your Ad Here