Author Topic: How IMU works?  (Read 3214 times)

Offline abhimohpraTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
How IMU works?
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:20:55 AM »
We have an application of Robotic platform.

We have laser range finder to take map and detect obstacles and encoder to take reading of motors by combining we calculate x,y, z location of robot into the perticular area.

We have indoor robot application. Now we are facing a problem where we have limited range of sensor laser (ladar ) that is 5.6 mtrs. and have little difference between two motor rpms. We want to reduce this error and make robot more effective in localization.

I heard about the sensor Gyroscope-IMU. I have basic questions regarding the same as below.
1. How it helps to find a position of a Robot?
2. We use PIC controller to drive a motor and PIC is connected to our main board where Robot software is loaded and LADAR is connected. How can we implement IMU to fuse with these two sensors?
3. How much it is effective? and which is the best module available in the market?

Hope to get some idea about it.
Thanks a lot in advance.

-Prasad

Offline Conscripted

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
Re: How IMU works?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
Good morning.

1. How it helps to find a position of a Robot?

An IMU is going to measure robot movement. If you start at a given position and know exactly how far you have moved from that spot (and in what direction) you should still know where you are.

2. We use PIC controller to drive a motor and PIC is connected to our main board where Robot software is loaded and LADAR is connected. How can we implement IMU to fuse with these two sensors?

Look into something called a Kalman filter. It is an algorithm used to integrate sensors.

I can't help with the third question.

Conscripted

Get Your Ad Here

data_list