go away spammer

Author Topic: Programmers. Microcontroller choices. Is there anything more universal?  (Read 6258 times)

Offline Hal9000Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
Hi there,

I already have a simple PIC programmer and a 8051 programmer.

However, now I am getting to the stage where I want to test out other microcontrollers.

There are some Universal programmers like

http://members.shaw.ca/topprogrammer/Top2048.html

and can be bought from this seller on ebay

http://item.express.ebay.com/Industrial-Supplies_Electrical-Automation_Control-Systems-PLCs_TOP2048-universal-USB-programmer-support-2000-EEPROM_W0QQitemZ7613438522QQihZ017QQptdnZControlQ20SystemsQ20Q26Q20PLCsQQddnZIndustrialQ20SuppliesQQadnZElectricalQ20Q26Q20AutomationQQcmdZExpressItem

Thing is, what are the options? Do you really need to buy a programmer for every chip you have?

I'm really a bit worried about buying them, and then being out of date.
"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
I'm really a bit worried about buying them, and then being out of date.
With technology, there is no way around this problem :P

I mentioned it before, but this might influence your opinion: I will only be developing and posting source code and electronics for the PIC16F877 and Atmel AVR's. :P

Offline Eco19R

• Helpful? 0
16F877 or 16F877A ?

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
16F877A is more up-to-date - you are not likely to even be able to get non-A versions of the chip soon.

One of the main differences between the A and non-A versions is they program differently. An up-to-date programmer will do both, an older one (like one of the ones I have) will only do the non-A version.

- Jon

Offline Eco19R

• Helpful? 0
I am using the A version - just wanted to make sure he would be posting the A version code.  :)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
16F877 or 16F877A ?
just the older 16F877. i believe the source code will work the same for either, although the compiled hex file wouldnt . . .

the reason is because i have i think 5 of them, so no reason to get any more . . .

Get Your Ad Here

data_list