Electronics > Electronics

Servos VS DC geared motors

<< < (3/4) > >>

jwatte:
If you want servos that you can program to jitter less, look at the Dynamixel AX-12 or Herkulex DRS-0101. Each is less than $40 each (buy 6 or more) and each has settings where you can program, at a minimum, how much they react based on how far off they are.
Jitter can be caused by many things, including a poor match between the actual load, and the control of the servo. A servo that over-reacts will cause jitter. A servo that's not strong enough will also cause jitter. Poor mechanical fit or excessive play will also cause jitter.

drinu:
Hi,

are the  Dynamixel AX-12 or Herkulex DRS-0101 controlled using PWM or I have to use a custom controller? I can see that the harness consists of 4 wires not 3 and the servo have 2 connectors? Why is this please?

Thanks.

ErikY:

--- Quote from: drinu on February 21, 2013, 01:34:28 PM ---Hi,

are the  Dynamixel AX-12 or Herkulex DRS-0101 controlled using PWM or I have to use a custom controller? I can see that the harness consists of 4 wires not 3 and the servo have 2 connectors? Why is this please?

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

Both are serial servo's, meaning you do not use PWM to control them.

The AX-12's use half duplex, I am not sure about the DRS-0101 as I have not yet used them.

I will say that the AX-12's are incredible, Webbot lib is really fantastic for using these.

I have not put any significant load on these, but they are incredibly powerful, very fast, and the level of control you get on these things is amazing.

You can control position, speed, get positioning, get speed, get torque, set limits, and much more, they are really amazing.

jwatte:
 They use serial communications (TTL UART) which most microcontrollers can talk to just fine. Like the Axon, for example :-)

For the single duplex case, you can tie TXD and RXD together to the bus with a small resistor. If you also want to use the serial port for other things (like Arduino programming without a ICSP programmer) you have to be able to separate them again with a jumper or circuit.

drinu:
Thanks for the replies.

If I use actuators instead of servos or geared motors, will it be a good idea?
they are more powerful,  easily programmed, easy to control their speed (PWM).

Any help would be appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version