Author Topic: Arduino Firmware!!!  (Read 5609 times)

Offline blackheartTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
Arduino Firmware!!!
« on: March 09, 2009, 03:53:20 AM »
Hello! As many of you have noticed, I was missing for a while. In the mean time, I built my first robot...

I used an arduino 2009, the motor controller from maker shed and my brother's old rc car. Oooh, and photoresistors. It worksm just like I expected it. I still have some work to do on it, and I will post pictures/videos once my ping ultrasound rf comes in and I get it working.

I have a question now.

I also got some more experience making my own circuits. I would like, for my next robot, to use a uC board made by myself. The only problem with that, is the programming. I am so in love with the arduino C based language and headers, that I don't feel like using anything else. Is there any way to flash the arduino firmware to an ATMega 168/328 like the one on the arduino?

Airman, how did you do it? I mean, you invented an arduino based pcb, so you must be very experienced.

Thank You!
I'm out of ideas!

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: Arduino Firmware!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 04:36:09 AM »
wait, so you just want to make your own board? well state what you want it to be able to do and we will go from there. eg. how many I/O ports, memory things like that.
Howdy

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 05:57:54 AM »
Yes, it is really easy. You can even download arduino programs on the normal $50 robot board, you just have to pay attention to pinouts.

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 06:11:52 AM »
great. i thought it was all about flashing a special firmware to the atmega.
so the 50$ board is by default arduino compatible?
I'm out of ideas!

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 06:16:55 AM »
Arduino is using a bootloader that you can download to the fresh microcontroller using a hardware programmer like the AVR ISP or AVR MK II or Tiny USB. After you have the connections done (the 6 pin header, if you need the schematic, we'll show it to you), from Arduino software you select from Tools menu, Burn Bootloader, w/AVR ISP or whatever programmer you have. Make sure you select the proper board (Arduino Diecimila) and proper serial Com port befor you burn the bootloader.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 02:14:29 PM »
Thank You!

I'm out of ideas!

Offline ang5t

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 07:54:03 AM »
Yea, I made the $50 controller, and have only used Arduino to program it. I'm using the MKII to upload the .hex files. The only thing I had to do was set the internal clock fuse to 8 MHz instead of the external timer/oscillator the arduino uses. I've had no problems. Only thing I changed with the $50 board, was add some pins for PWM. I'm about to try and add the USB/serial connector so that I can directly communicate directly with Arduino software. Will update if I get it going, or do the same if you do please.
So if the blue wire goes here, then that means...(bzzzt) oops....

Offline ang5t

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 08:29:41 AM »
This should help

Note the extra PWM pins on digital 3,5, and 6
So if the blue wire goes here, then that means...(bzzzt) oops....

Get Your Ad Here

data_list