Author Topic: Anyone have a schematic to control 2 motors with simple relays?  (Read 5109 times)

Offline BajanickTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
 I would like to control 2 wheelchair motors with relays and implement skid steering as well. I plan on using a RC unit to remotely control the motors.

I built a circuit with 6 relays but it did not work. I dont need speed control, it would be nice but out of my budget.

The motors are 24V but I think they will run on 12V and the 2 batteries are 12V 7 amp hour each wired in series. I am going to do a test to see how

well the motors work under 12V. I remember reading on the wheelchair website that they work with 24 or 12V.

Thanks for any help.

:)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 08:26:56 PM by Bajanick »

Offline ALZ

• Helpful? 1
Re: Anyone have a schematic to control 2 motors with simple relays?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 12:34:06 AM »
Hi:
Yes. I have a H-bridge with speed control that I am sure is not out of your budget. It only needs 1 MOSFET and 1 relay per motor.

"I would like to control 2 wheelchair motors with relays and implement skid steering as well. I plan on using a RC unit to remotely control the motors."

If you can wait a week. I will be selling a  chip that can interface a "VEX" (you can get them on Ebay for about $20)  transmitter, receiver to the H-bridge. The chip will also be able to  interface with other microcontrollers so that they can take over when the transmitter is off. It will be able to run up to 8 DC motors. You can see the H-bridge at my site:

http://robotics.scienceontheweb.net

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 02:45:05 PM »
hello

you are doing exactly what I did with my butler robot chives - erobots.blogspot.com

Look on the right hand side of the blog , there should be something about relay controls

You need a total of 8 relays for this to work - four per motor .
post up your schematic and I'll help you out

what kind of R/C unit are you using , because you will  probably need a MOSFET to drive the relays for certain R/C stuff
I have two 24V motors running at 12V just fine . Which motors are you using ?

The two 12V batteries need to be wired in parallel to give off 12V. How much current do your motors draw

and finally  what project are you building , so we can help you out better.

Ask anything you want on this subject , because I am almost an expert on it ( I've done it before many times)
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline BajanickTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 07:17:08 PM »
  My project is a radio controlled vehicle that I control with a RC unit using the bottom half of a wheelchair.

The batteries are rated 12V at 7amp hours each (It has 2), They are currently wired how they came on the WC but I will be rewireing them for 12V

operation.

I will be installing a camera and eventually some kind of gripper.

The main hurdle I am facing is  finding a motor controller that is inexpensive and can handle the kind of amps these motors pull. I found one but

dont have the funds yet. I figured if I wired up some kind of simple relay control with no speed control thats better than nothing, until I can save up for

the controllers I need.

I did not see any links about relays on your site but I will keep looking.

Thanks.

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
oh its not there, i thought i wrote something about it

if you can wait a day , I'll happily post a schematic of how to wire it
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Get Your Ad Here