Author Topic: Lipo hard cutoff  (Read 3224 times)

Offline ursineTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Lipo hard cutoff
« on: February 07, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »
I'm using a lipo to power the wireless router and ethernet board on my robot. I'd like to use a hard cutoff to save the lipo from over discharge. Most of what I see is for RC applications and are soft cutoff and work in conjunction with the ESC to lower or pulse the output. Not a good idea for the electronics. Is there a way to modify it for a hard cutoff or is there an equivalent circuit that's not too involved? I could probably use an arduino for this but that's overkill.

Thanks,

Dave

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Lipo hard cutoff
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 08:47:48 PM »
Is there a way to modify it for a hard cutoff or is there an equivalent circuit that's not too involved? I could probably use an arduino for this but that's overkill.
A comparator driving a relay through a transistor, or just a power MOSFET (depending on voltages) should suffice - If a dual comparator is used, you could have a warning LED to tell you that you're close to empty, with only a slightly larger layout.

At what voltage do you want it to cut?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 04:33:42 PM »
It's a 3 cell Lipo so for drawing no lower than 3v per cell would be 9 volts cutoff. Can you point me in the direction of a circuit diagram that would work?

Thanks,

Dave

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »
This might help I believe.

It makes a sound when pack drops to 3V/cell.
Piezo can be easily replaced by an led for silent alarm.
Or relay to implement hard cutoff.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:00:36 PM »
Thanks a bunch. That should work fine...now to Digikey.

Dave

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 08:35:55 AM »
Although not good documented and having some errors... See my tutorial on this here...

http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/302

It comes also as a first result if you google search LiPo protection ;-)
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 08:56:02 AM »
Although not good documented and having some errors... See my tutorial on this here...

http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/302

It comes also as a first result if you google search LiPo protection ;-)

I am working on LiPo charger atm (actually gathering enough knowledge to build it (big thanks to Soeren)). At the moment I need some guidance on how to detect when battery is fully charged. I've made same drawings according to my understanding of how it works. Could You please have a look and point out mistakes.
This is my thread.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

data_list