Author Topic: DIFFERENT BETWEEN DC GEARED MOTOR vs NORMAL DC MOTOR??  (Read 15381 times)

Offline bubbletea7Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
DIFFERENT BETWEEN DC GEARED MOTOR vs NORMAL DC MOTOR??
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:43:24 AM »
I am doing the dc motor controller for positioning application project.

Im using the cytron DC Geared Motor with Encoder, SPG-30E-30K in this project.

what the different between the dc geared motor and normal dc motor? and what the benefit when we used the dc geared motor?

and also, why used DC geared motor with encoder already built in it when to do the positioning application?? why don't we use dc geared motor and encoder separate?

Offline mstacho

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
Re: DIFFERENT BETWEEN DC GEARED MOTOR vs NORMAL DC MOTOR??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:30:54 AM »
A Gear motor has a gearbox that increases torque and decreases speed.  DC motors might run in the thousands of RPMs, and if you want to do anything slower and with more torque, you need a gearbox (this also works backwards: you could speed up a motor with a gearbox as well, but this drops the torque).

Encoders built in are sometimes great -- you don't need to do any assembly of the encoder + motor.  On the flip side, the encoder the manufacturer supplies may be inadequate and you might want to install your own.  So it's a toss-up between the two.  Although if given the choice, I'd much rather have the manufacturer install the encoder for me...

MIKE
Current project: tactile sensing systems for multifingered robot hands

Get Your Ad Here

data_list