Author Topic: Beginner relevance?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline KizexcTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Beginner relevance?
« on: August 29, 2011, 10:36:31 PM »
Hi,

I have been readng over this site and was just curious as to the relevance of the tutorials and such, as I have noticed some date back as early at 08, if not earlier.

I did notice the boards are still quite active, but as I am a REAL novice, most of this was foreign to me :/

Cheers

Offline The Headacher

• Helpful? 1
Re: Beginner relevance?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 04:05:32 AM »
I guess the relevance is decided by the topic:

- if you read a tutorial about software, they are probably not relevant anymore because the software is updated by now.
- If you read a tutorial about a particular piece of hardware, it can be a very relevant post to you if you have that piece of hardware (or plan to work with it).

In the end, the only one who can decide the relevance of tutorials is you. That being said, reading all tutorials without doing something with them is probably a waste of time.
Information about my first robot: https://sites.google.com/site/theheadacher/robot (work in progress)

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:46:20 AM »
Most of the tutorials I have read here have relevance, even if it just gets background info on older technology. All new technology is built on older technology so for a beginner it can all have relevance.

Offline ofnature

• Helpful? 0
    • Space Dreams
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 11:37:10 AM »

In the end, the only one who can decide the relevance of tutorials is you. That being said, reading all tutorials without doing something with them is probably a waste of time.

If you understand it, it is most certainly not a waste of time.  If you can't understand it, than you need to start with an easier or more basic tutorial.

C* is still C and a most servos and sensors work about the same as there competitors, even if you have to get a different model number.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »
Hi,

I have been readng over this site and was just curious as to the relevance of the tutorials and such, as I have noticed some date back as early at 08, if not earlier.
Relevancy depends on a lot of things of course, but for a beginner hasn't changed a lot in the last 3 years and the basic stuff will still be relevant for a good many years to come.

Newer microcontrollers are just enhancements on the older ones (like more memory and periphals) and the largest advances in the last years is in the sensor technologies - but again, the basic stuff is still the basic stuff.

I did notice the boards are still quite active, but as I am a REAL novice, most of this was foreign to me :/
All the more reason to stick to the most basic stuff for a while and then build on that as and when you feel ready  ;D
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list