go away spammer

Author Topic: CNC on steroids!  (Read 4468 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
CNC on steroids!
« on: May 24, 2007, 07:04:35 AM »
CAM software that dynamically manages tool loads to dramatically reduce cycle times on any CNC machine! This is insanely impressive!

All TrueMill videos are at real time (not artificailly sped up).

http://www.surfware.com/default.asp?contentID=553

and notice the total lack of cooling fluid!!!

Offline kingpin094

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
    • Robot Dungeon
Re: CNC on steroids!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 11:51:58 AM »
So at what point does the spindle overload from lack of head lubrication....?  That is quite impressive.  Have not seen a mill cutting that fast without cooling fluid and not seeing a machinist freaking out  :)
the BOT stops here.....

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 11:57:01 AM »
ok, never having seen/used CNC equipment i'm curious what it is that this software is doing differently?

i'm guessing the old way was to cut in straight lines.
this one is cutting in a curved path that is optimal for the cutting tool right?

seems like one of these inventions thats obvious after you have seen it in action but quite a break through for the company that first comes up with the idea.
but then those mech-eng heads are better at thinking about hammers than clever curves.....

dunk.
(ducking for cover under a hail of thrown hammers.)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 12:44:51 PM »
ok, never having seen/used CNC equipment i'm curious what it is that this software is doing differently?
If you have ever seen or used a CNC you'd realize that normally they are about 10x slower than what you saw. Think about it, its cutting through stainless steel like a hot knife in butter!

And if you do dumb things with the CAM software, normally your mill bit will shatter and the machine would get damaged.

seems like one of these inventions thats obvious after you have seen it in action but quite a break through for the company that first comes up with the idea.
When I use CNC I usually change the load throughout cutting manually. Not being an expert in CNC, I figured it just wasnt possible to have it done automatically . . . Typically in a manufacturing setting the tool path is tweaked a bunch by the machinist to optimize it for speed . . . but apparently thats now been automated . . .

After watching it for a bit and wondering about the lack of coolant, I noticed the machine is not taking optimal paths based on distance. In fact, it appears to be taking into account thermal cooling rates of the part as well by skipping over areas to cut later . . .

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 01:07:44 PM »
If you have ever seen or used a CNC you'd realize that normally they are about 10x slower than what you saw. Think about it, its cutting through stainless steel like a hot knife in butter!
yup. i figured it was faster i'm just curious as to what it is the software is doing differently to allow the mill to move the cutter more quickly without problems.

When I use CNC I usually change the load throughout cutting manually. Not being an expert in CNC, I figured it just wasn't possible to have it done automatically . . . Typically in a manufacturing setting the tool path is tweaked a bunch by the machinist to optimize it for speed . . . but apparently thats now been automated . . .
ah, got you. so the difference here is the uniform pressure on the cutting bit.
it hadn't occurred to me that they wouldn't be taking feedback from that allready.

dunk.

Offline ivanirons

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 06:37:50 PM »
Here are a series of videos I shot that talk about a CNC Project I did.  It give you an idea of the design side, then the build side of doing a CNC Project.

Check it out:
http://www.cncinformation.com/CNCBlog

Then there is a link on the left hand side for the CNC videos.

Look then over and let me know how I can improve them.

Ivan Irons
http:www.cncinformation.com

Get Your Ad Here

data_list