go away spammer

Author Topic: Child Locks  (Read 1822 times)

Offline DC-ElectronicsTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
Child Locks
« on: March 28, 2008, 11:07:24 PM »
Hey everyone :)

A friend of mine is having a baby soon, and their soon to be parent paranoia has inspired me to start a small project for them.
The other day I heard them talking about thoes wee child locks you can put on your toxics cabinet. This is news to me, but
apparently the latest CNN style horror story is about those, Kids learning to pop them open and drinking all the tasty drain cleaner
and what not.
That said, I hit the drawing board and came up with something cheap and effective.

Using a pair of the many Reed Switches I have stock piled in the fore sale area of the house(I have something like 400 of them XD )
And a pair of my small MiniMotor 9v motors, a piece of threaded rod, 3 small brackets and two small pipe ends I put together a small
prototype for them.

Attaching 2 of the brackets and the pipe end to the inside of the left door, and one of the brackets and pipe ends on the right side, the
threaded rod sitting inside the left hand set of hardware. The motors also attached to the rod, one pushing the rod across the small gap
and into the hardware on the other side of the door, the other pulling it back.

As a magnet is passed over the reed switch for the corresponding motor, it activates and pushes the rod, opening or closing the lock.
The switch can be placed through a hole drilled in the door, or to save your cabinet doors, just use a really strong magnet and it should
detect through the door.

I will post some schematics and what not as soon as I can get my design program up and running again. Been having some issues with it
as of late :(

Hope this was an informative read
Any questions or improvements to my design are much appriciated :)
Thanks
Motors and Electronics at a great price :)
Had to close my ebay store due to ebay shenanigans :(

Offline bulkhead

• Helpful? 0
Re: Child Locks
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 10:38:53 PM »
Any pictures?  This seems like an interesting idea.  To take it a step further, RFID could be used to make it completely secure.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Child Locks
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 12:35:01 PM »
Since this is a long term device, like a smoke alarm, you will need to be more concerned about power usage.

(also, it may just be easier/better to teach kids what poison is, instead of just 'protecting' them with a lock)

Get Your Ad Here